Tuesday 17 September 2013

Interview: Kellie Shirley, currently in One Man, Two Guvnors

Later this month Kellie Shirley is joining the West End production of One Man, Two Guvnors at the Theatre Royal Haymarket to play Pauline Clench, a role she previously played in the play’s UK and international tours. 

Kellie is best known for playing Carly Wicks in BBC1’s Eastenders between 2006 and 2012. Kellie’s television credits include: Lewis, The Office, Murder City, Parents of the Band, 20,000 Streets Under the Sky and The Bill while her film credits include: Frank, Girl on a Bicycle, Venus, The Grind, Heidi and Wimbledon.

Kellie also has an impressive list of theatre credits to her name. As well as touring Australia and Hong Kong during her time in the One Man, Two Guvnors international and UK tours, her theatre credits include: Rhoda at the Menier Chocolate Factory, State Fair at the Finborough Theatre, The Miracle at the National Theatre, Slam at Soho Theatre, Best of the Rest at the Royal Court and Cinderella at the Richmond Theatre. 

Last week I spoke to Kellie about why she decided to return to one of the West End’s funniest plays, her time in Eastenders and her theatre addiction…

After playing Pauline in the international and UK tours of One Man, Two Guvnors, what drew you back to reprising the role in the West End?
Well, I’ve never actually worked in the West End before. I’ve worked at the National Theatre and at the Royal Court and I was keen to ‘pop my West End cherry’ as it were! One Man, Two Guvnors is a really brilliant show and I love it. Plus it’s a great part and I play it slightly differently to the other girls who have played her before. Pauline’s quite a feisty dumb blonde and I really enjoy playing her. Obviously Owain (Arthur) who I love working with is returning to the West End production – he’s such a great actor. One of my really good friends, Amy Cudden, is also in the cast. She plays Rachel and I’ve got a big scene with her which I love because I’ve always wanted to work with her. So I love the show, love the cast, I’m working with some great friends and I can get the bus home every night – it’s perfect!

When did you first discover One Man, Two Guvnors? Were you familiar with the show before you auditioned?
Yes! I went to see the third or fourth preview and straight after seeing it I wrote a letter to Nic Hytner (the play’s Director), which said “If you ever re-cast this role, please can I come in and read for you!” I knew I could do something with the part and I thought the show was one of the best things I had ever seen at the theatre. Fortunately he read my letter and invited me in for a meeting! 

The play has been incredibly successful, what do you think is the secret to its success?
It’s just a classic comedy which came around at the perfect time. We were in the recession and people were a bit miserable and when you’re feeling a bit down in the dumps it’s nice to go and see a show and just laugh and have a really good time! It’s just a bit of fun and for a couple of hours you can forget about everything else. It’s not serious, Grant (Olding) has written some brilliant songs, the show features great comic acting and it’s silly, which Brits can really channel in to – we love all those old school British comedies like Dad’s Army, Only Fools and Horses and the Carry On films.

"One minute I'm asking Barbara Windsor for a packet of nuts in the Queen Vic and then the next I'm touring Australia in a 1960s farce!"

So what was it like touring to places like Hong Kong and Australia?! Did they get the humour?
It was very different in different countries. In Hong Kong a lot of the audiences didn’t speak English so there would be surtitles. There would be a wave of laughs firstly from the people who understood English and then a few seconds later from those who were following the surtitles – it was very bizarre! In Hong Kong they also got a bit upset when the play makes fun out of Alfie, who is the older character in the play, because they really respect their elders. There are lots of jokes about Australia in the show, which we didn’t take out when we were in Australia. In Melbourne it was a bit flat [laughs], but in Sydney those jokes got a really big reception because they can laugh at themselves a little more. Adelaide was the best – they were up for a laugh! But the tour was a real eye-opener, especially the UK Tour. Following everything that happened after Margaret Thatcher’s death, when we were up in Newcastle people were very vocal throughout the show, it was an electric atmosphere. 

I’ve seen the show a couple of times now and it looks like the cast are having the best time. Is that the case, or is it just good acting?
I wouldn’t sign up to do another six months if I didn’t enjoy it! Life’s too short to do something that you don’t enjoy. This cast in particular are really great because there’s a good mix. We have some newbies, some people who have been in the show for a while and then a couple of us who are joining from the tour. It brings something new and fresh which is really nice. We are a very happy company which doesn’t happen all the time!

People also know you from your television work. How does doing something like Eastenders compare to doing something like One Man, Two Guvnors, it must be completely different?
That is what’s so nice about being an actor, things change in a heartbeat – one minute I'm asking Barbara Windsor for a packet of nuts in the Queen Vic and then the next I'm touring Australia in a 1960s farce - that is what is so brilliant about my job! Obviously they’re completely different and brilliant for different reasons. 

So is variety something which is important to you when it comes to making career decisions?
Yes! But I also want to be happy, I like to enjoy work. I always want to be challenged and do as much as possible, I want to do everything [laughs]!

Kellie as Pauline in One Man, Two Guvnors

It feels like years since you left Eastenders, do you have fond memories of your time on the show? Is it starting to feel like a bit of a blur? I know you briefly returned last year…
Even though I left five years ago, because I went back last year for a really nice storyline it isn’t too long since I was actually standing in the Square so my memories still feel quite fresh. I loved playing that part and working with Linda Henry who plays Shirley and Diane Parish who plays Denise. 

What direction would you like to go in after One Man, Two Guvnors closes next year?
I’ve actually just been offered something which starts just after One Man, Two Guvnors, it’s another theatre job. I’m waiting to find out if I am able to do it with rehearsal timings and so on. It’s nice knowing that people want me to continue working in theatre! I also love independent British independent films, I did one recently called ‘Everyone’s Going To Die’ which I loved and want to do more stuff like that because that’s when you get to be challenged as an actor. 

"I love the show, love the cast, I’m working with some great friends and I can get the bus home every night – it’s perfect!"

Have you had the chance to see much theatre recently, you must have been quite busy with rehearsals?
Are you joking?! I go to the theatre twice a week! I am a completely theatre geek!

Yay! What have you loved recently?
Let me get my diary! I’ve seen so much, it’s ridiculous. I always Tweet saying “I’m going to the theatre tonight” and everyone is like “oh my god – again?!” Although you’re probably worse than me, do you go every night?

Usually, at the moment I’m in the middle of seeing/reviewing fourteen shows in fourteen days…
[Gasps] Oh my god! I love going to the theatre! It’s my favourite thing in the world! What’s the best thing you’ve seen recently?

The Color Purple at the Menier Chocolate Factory, just incredible!
Yes, me too – it’s one of the best things I’ve ever seen! Cynthia (Erivo) is just amazing and Nicola Hughes is brilliant! Cynthia got a standing ovation after just one song! It was crazy! I loved Stuart: A Life Backwards at the Watford Palace, some incredible performances and it’s a lovely theatre, I had never been there before! I also saw West Side Story at Sadler's Wells which was out of this world! I wept my contact lenses out and had a good cry! It’s such a classic love story, I was in bits. The dancing is beautiful and I don’t go to the Sadler's Wells enough! 

Finally, you’ve built up a good following over your career. What’s it like to have that kind of support behind you?
It’s really nice when people are interested in what I’m doing on Twitter and so on. It’s lovely when people want to come and see me in things, to have support is really great!

Interviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)

Kellie joins the West End production of One Man, Two Guvnors on 23rd September. 
The production runs at the Theatre Royal Haymarket until 1st March 2014.
Click here to book tickets (save £10 at certain performances)

Follow Kellie on Twitter: @KelShirl
Visit Kellie's Website: www.kellieshirley.co.uk

We are currently counting down to our 100th interview! Click here for more information.

Photo Credit 1: Polly Tootal
Photo Credit 2: Peter Schiazza

No comments:

Post a Comment