Sunday, 2 June 2013

Review: Mary Queen of Scots Got Her Head Chopped Off at the King's Head Theatre



Mary Queen of Scots Got Her Head Chopped Off
King's Head Theatre
Reviewed on Friday 31st May 2013


Mary Queen of Scots Got Her Head Chopped Off by Liz Lochhead, Scotland's National Poet, is a political and historical play which explores the relationship between Mary Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I. The play hasn't been seen in London since the Donmar Warehouse's 1987 production so at a time when Scottish Independence is constantly being discussed and debated you would think this would be the perfect time for the play to make a triumphant return to London. Unfortunately this is not the case.

I wish this production took more risks as many aspects are very predictable. The direction feels too safe and the choreography is very unimaginative. The play is performed with a hint of style but I wish this style was further explored.

The thrust staging (where the audience sit three sides of the stage) does perhaps make the play a little more atmospheric. La Corbie (played by Shelley Lang) often directly addresses the audience which I loved, especially when at one point during the show an audience member laughed inappropriately at which point she turned to him and told him to "shh". However, at times the thrust staging caused problems. There was one moment where an actress pulled the funniest facial expression which made one side of the room erupt into laughter while the other half of the room seemed a little confused. 

Katie Bellman's costume design is simple yet effective. Her set design is also basic but compliments the show nicely. Liz Lochhead's writing is witty in places, but it is the more serious scenes which lack pace and fail to become captivating. A stand out performance comes from Sarah Thom as Elizabeth whose delivery is always spot on. She performs with dignity and detail, her eyes are extremely emotive.


Mary Queen of Scots Got Her Head Chopped Off is a play which requires great concentration but The King's Head Theatre was so hot that I found it challenging to become engaged. I became extremely uncomfortable and began to feel unwell due to the extreme heat. In the interval, for the first time ever, I found myself contemplating whether or not I wanted to stay for the second half as it was becoming unbearable. 

I am pleased that I decided to stay and watch the second act as the play became a little more intense, although after the cast took their bows I rushed outside as I felt like I was about to pass out. Throughout the evening I heard many audience members complaining about the heat and during the performance I spotted many people fidgeting and fanning themselves with their programmes. Perhaps I was particularly unlucky and was sat in a particularly bad seat. I have great respect for the cast who put their all into every scene despite the challenging performance conditions, it cannot have been easy. 

Mary Queen of Scots Got Her Head Chopped Off is a play with some great moments. While certain aspects of the production are disappointing, if you have particular interest in the time period I am sure you will find the show interesting.

Reviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)

Mary Queen of Scots Got Her Head Chopped Off runs at the King's Head Theatre until Saturday 22nd June 2013.
Click here to book tickets (Special Offer - all top price seats reduced to £17.50).

No comments:

Post a Comment