
Aylesbury Waterside Theatre
Reviewed on Monday 8th April 2013

Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap is the longest running show in the world and is currently in the middle of its first ever UK Tour, making it one of the most iconic murder mystery stories ever. Sometimes touring productions can be guilty of having cheap, minimalistic sets. Although I cannot compare the touring production to the West End production, as the curtain rose I was incredibly impressed with the huge, detailed set design.
The show begins with a young couple preparing to open a brand new hotel before one by one the guests arrive. The audience are introduced to a wonderful mix of weird and wonderful, quirky, contrasting characters - my favourite being Mrs Boyle (played hilariously by Elizabeth Power), an older lady with very high expectations and who is not afraid to speak her mind, creating many comical moments.
Although there is talk of a murder taking place, I was surprised at how long it takes for Detective Sergeant Trotter to arrive, I was itching for the story to get going. Once he arrives the play becomes very intriguing, full of mystery and suspicion.
Some scenes, especially in Act Two are long and drawn out, adding even more suspense and tension. I can understand that for some these text heavy scenes could become a little boring, but I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat dying to find out what would happen next.
The play's conclusion does not disappoint. I loved leaving the theatre listening to everyone discussing the plot in pure dismay. The only problem is, now that I know the outcome I want to see the show again, perhaps it is about time I see the West End production! You simply must see this iconic show as it tours the UK and continues to set records in the West End.
Reviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)
The Mousetrap (UK Tour) runs at the Aylesbury Waterside Theatre until Saturday 13th April 2013. Click here to book tickets and to view the full tour schedule.
You can also see The Mousetrap at the West End's St. Martins Theatre, currently booking until 21st December 2013. Click here to book tickets with West End Frame!
Photo Credit: Helen Maybanks
Photo Credit: Helen Maybanks

No comments:
Post a Comment