.jpg)
Kandy Kottage
Landor Theatre
Reviewed on Thursday 14th March 2013


Taylor-Rowan & Hughes have written a fresh new piece of musical theatre with an intriguingly dark twist. Kandy Kottage tells the tail of sweet shop worker Kevin and his quest to make Greta his one true love.
While there was no set in the small but cosy Landor Theatre, we were asked to imagine the set consisting of a beautiful sweet shop (some might describe it as a diabetics worst nightmare). The actors performed holding scripts while all props and costumes were mimed.
To begin with I was not convinced. My adult brain was struggling to imagine so much when there was so little to work with. However, as the story progressed so did my imagination. The only way to describe it is how Robin Williams felt in the film Hook - once you let yourself believe the possibilities become endless. My imagination was brought out by Taylor-Rowan & Hughes' outstanding music and lyrics which I now hold in very high regard.
The cast did their best whilst clenching their scripts although it felt like I was watching sight reading at times. A stand out performance came from Lucyelle Cliffe whose voice could make you melt like a chocolate button on a scorching summers day.
The storyline is lovely and I really got into it, although I felt one gangster scene could simply be completely cut. The Kandy Kremes would look amazing as sweet inspired puppets instead of three beautiful performers.
With some investment and a strong creative team, this show would be sure to have a sell out run. I would love to see Kandy Kottage performed with full set, costumes and all the glitz we were told about at the start. But would we lose some of the Peter Pan magic? I will be keeping an eye out for Kandy Kottage over the next few years...
Reviewed by Jamie Chapman Dixon
Please visit www.taylorrowanhughes.com for further information.
No comments:
Post a Comment