Dylan Turner is currently playing William Haines in The Tailor-Made Man which runs at the Arts Theatre until 6th April 2013. The Tailor-Made Man is the true story of William Haines, the silent screen star who was fired by Louis B Mayer of MGM Studios because he was gay and refused to marry and give up his lifelong partner Jimmy Shields. The new musical will receive its world premiere at the Arts Theatre in London. The limited eight-week season will end on 6 April.
Dylan’s theatre credits include Theatre Chariots of Fire (Gielgud Theatre), Rock Of Ages (Shaftesbury Theatre), The Kissing Dance (Jermyn Street Theatre), Life Is A Dream (Donmar Warehouse), Much Ado About Nothing (Open Air Lauderdale), Mamma Mia (Prince Of Wales), Grease (Victoria Palace), Sweet Charity (Sheffield Crucible) and the original national tours of Chicago and Footloose.
Last week I caught up with Dylan to talk about what initially drew him to The Tailor-Made Man, how he approached such a big role and his ambition to be the next James Bond...
Are you enjoying your time in The Tailor-Made Man?
Oh yes! We’ve had some amazing reviews and it’s just a brilliant show. The show is set in the Twenties which is such a nostalgic period. It was a glamorous time and everyone was so elegant, so to be part of that every night is just terrific.
What was it that initially drew you to the show?
The director came to see me in Rock of Ages and then spoke to me about it afterwards. After doing Rock Of Ages, which is set in the Eighties with big hair styles and so on, I knew I wanted to do something completely different and to play such a strong character like William Haines is completely out of my comfort zone! Also, to portray someone who is gay is something completely new for me – it’s a huge challenge having to convince the audience. In fact, the whole experience has been such a challenge but I’m so glad I decided to do it... and that I got the job.
What are the cast like to work with?
The cast are great. It’s funny because I have known so many of them for years, through the industry or through friends, but never actually had the opportunity to work with any of them. When I found out that Faye Tozer and Mike McShane had been cast I was thrilled! I grew up watching Mike on Who’s Line Is It Anyway and of course Faye was in Steps! Her transition into musical theatre is incredible. So many people come into musical theatre and don’t really do very well, but she’s just brilliant. As soon as she puts that wig on she looks like she’s been transported forward from the Twenties into the wrong era! Plus her comic timing is perfect.
What can audiences expect from The Tailor-Made Man?
The great thing about The Tailor-Made Man is that it ticks all the boxes. It is a tale of hypocrisy and very relevant today as there are many Hollywood stars who can’t come out fearing it would damage their careers. People can expect amazing costumes and choreography by Nathan M Wright who is fantastic. What he has done with such a small space at the Arts Theatre is incredible; a lot of people have said they feel like they are watching a big musical in a much bigger theatre. But of course the main thing is the love story. So many things happen, yet William Haines and Jimmy Shields were together for 50 years! Yes they both played away but they always had that connection. The Tailor-Made man has something for everyone, while it will make you laugh it is also a read tear-jerker.
How did you initially approach the role of William Haines?
In some respects it was very hard because there is limited information available as everything was destroyed. Luckily now with the internet and Wikipedia you can do a lot of research more easily, but there are no interviews or any footage of William Haines actually speaking. I ordered Wisecracker, which is his life story, and read through it thoroughly. However, on the flip side, because he’s not that well known – it’s not like I’m playing someone like Hitchcock – I have been able to make him quite personable. I didn’t want to just mimic him, I wanted to bring my own personal approach to my portrayal. He obviously has to come across as a very confident and handsome character, but I wanted to bring an element of respect to him.
How do you keep your performance fresh each night?
Well I think concentration is a big thing. Obviously in the show there are a few emotional scenes and to get to that place, to be upset with Bradley who plays Jimmy every night, is tough. I think when doing eight shows a week it can become very easy to go into autopilot, especially on a Wednesday matinee when it’s raining outside. I also think it’s important to look after yourself, you’ve got to get lots of vitamin C (laughs)! People often think actors have got it easy because we only work in the evenings most of the time, but throughout the day we can’t let go because of having to look after our voice and stay healthy, especially at the Arts Theatre where there are no understudies so we have to perform every night no matter what. I love what I do and wouldn’t change anything for the world!
![]() |
| Bradley Clarkson and Dylan Turner in The Tailor-Made Man |
When did you first decide you wanted to be an actor?
Performing isn’t something I fell into, it sounds cliché but I’ve always wanted to be an actor, ever since I started doing school assemblies. I think I was an angel in my first year... and the second year I didn’t make Joseph so I was Innkeeper Two. I made sure I finished my exams and then my mother said that if I still wanted to do it I could move to London... and that was it! I love all sides of the industry, not just performing. I’m also into editing and when I’m not working I try to see as much theatre as possible. I’m also a massive film buff, I literally have to see everything!
What advice would you give to aspiring actors?
I think you’ve just got to keep going and never take rejection personally! If you think about the biggest actor on the planet, Michael Caine, even he has had countless rejections and yet with determination you can always succeed. You’ve got to be prepared because some people will love you and some people won’t. Also being unemployed is a big part of being an actor which is not a bad thing because you have to be unemployed to be able to wait for the right opportunity to arise. So many times I’ve narrowly missed out on a job, and then a while later I’ve got a different job and thought ‘thank god I didn’t get that other job’! It is also vital to be proactive; I never sit around and wait for my agent to do all the work. I always think your agent takes 10 percent so who’s looking after the other 90 percent...? You’ve got to put yourself out there and get seen. If you’re not working and there are no auditions make something happen! Get together with some friends and make a film or do some writing. Lots of my friends who I went to college with have given up, which is fine, some have settled down and other have decided it wasn't for them, but you have to be prepared for lots of hard work. And when the hard work pays off it is so worth it!
Have you got any dream roles which you have your eye on?
Who knows, in ten years time they may need a new James Bond! On stage I would love to play Hamlet.
Obviously you’ve been so busy recently going straight from Rock Of Ages into Chariots Of Fire and then into The Tailor-Made Man, but have you had time to see any shows recently?
I really haven’t! I need to catch a few matinees. Top of my list I want to see James McAvoy in Macbeth. Then after I finish Tailor-Made Man in April I will take a week off and go and see some theatre!
Rock Of Ages, Chariots Of Fire and The Tailor-Made Man are three very different shows. Is variety something which is important for you?
It is. I think it is very easy to become stereotyped and typecast in this industry. For me variety is so important so I can prove to myself and other people that yes I can jump around and belt out rock songs and do double pirouettes, but I can also do Shakespeare. It’s a risk that some people aren’t willing to take. I did High School Musical back in 2008 and I made a conscious decision that I didn’t want to do something very similar straight after. I was out of work for nearly a year but then I did Much Ado About Nothing followed by a play at the Dominar. Obviously I was very lucky and blessed that they decided to see me but I think it’s so important to do as many different things as possible. I feel very lucky to have performed three very different pieces of theatre in the last year.
Finally, what would you like to say to everyone who has supported you throughout your career?
I would like to say thank you so much for all your support! My mum and my family for their constant support and for believing in me! Over the last 12 months people’s support on Twitter has been amazing. They constantly come and see the shows I’ve been in and whenever I’m having a bad day their support always lifts me up. So thank you to everyone!
Follow Dylan on Twitter: @DylanTurner_
The Tailor-Made Man runs at the Arts Theatre until 6th April 2013. Click here to book tickets with West End Frame (top price seats reduced to £25).
Photo Credit: Alastair Muir

+Credit+Alastair+Muir.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment