Thursday 24 October 2013

Big Interview: Cassidy Janson

At the moment Cassidy Janson is one of the busiest actors in musical theatre. Not only is she currently starring in Aria Entertainment’s production of Blood Wedding at the Courtyard Theatre, but during the day she is rehearsing with an all-star cast for the Menier Chocolate Factory’s production Candide.

Earlier this year Cassidy won rave reviews for starring in Rooms: A Rock Musical at the Finborough Theatre and created the role of Trinity in The Route To Happiness at the Landor Theatre as part of Aria Entertainment’s From Page To Stage season of new writing. 

Cassidy famously played Kate Monster/Lucy The Slut in the West End production of Avenue Q, created the role of Maggie in the original West End production of Lend Me A Tenor The Musical and was in the original West End production of Wicked, eventually taking over as Standby Elphaba.

Some of Cassidy’s other theatre credits include: Amy in Company (Southwark Playhouse), Jude in Bridget Jones: The Musical directed by Stephen Daldry (workshop), Polly Baker in Crazy for You (Kilworth House), Sam in Austentatious (Landor) , Sarah in Only the Brave (Edinburgh Festival 2008), Susan in Tick Tick …Boom! (Menier Chocolate Factory), Rusty in Footloose (UK tour), Brenda in Brenda Bly Teen Detective (Bridewell), Newsrevue (Canal CafĂ©) and Snoopy (Jermyn Street Theatre).

Recently I spoke to Cassidy about doing her first ever play, returning to the Menier Chocolate Factory and her time in the West End productions of Wicked and Lend Me A Tenor...

What was the rehearsal process like for Blood Wedding?
Really, really good. It’s just so exciting being a part of such a talented cast and everyone is so nice as well! It’s lovely to be doing such a heavy piece of theatre with such generous and thoughtful people; we’re having quite a laugh!

It sounds like a very powerful piece, what do you think audiences can expect?
It is really powerful stuff actually. It’s quite heavy. There’s an amazing fight scene and one of the lovely chaps from the cast, Edward Linard, has become the unofficial combat director and he’s created this incredible fight scene. I’ve seen a lot of combat choreography in my life, but this is really well done and it looks like the guys are being smacked about – it’s so exciting [laughs]!

Blood Wedding is very different to other shows you have done recently, is that what attracted you to the project?
Yes! I’ve had a wonderful ten years working in musical theatre and I found out they were auditioning for Blood Wedding and I know the casting director, Benjamin Newsome, because he cast me in Rooms earlier this year. I asked if they would see someone who normally does theatre and he said “yes, come and audition” and then I was over the moon to be cast! Blood Wedding is my first proper play although, funnily enough for a play, there is quite a bit of singing [laughs]! A wonderful composer, Lewis Greenslade, has written some new music for the show. There are some beautiful melodies and arrangements. There’s quite a bit of Spanish dancing at the wedding – it’s really clever how they’ve created 1930s Spain.

You’ve been in big West End shows as well as smaller more intimate productions. How do the experiences compare and which do you find most challenging?
It’s odd, but it’s scarier doing a show in front of a small audience. I think it’s because when you’re in a huge theatre, like when I was in Wicked performing to nearly 3,000 people, the audience are so big that they become one thing – you can’t pick any particular person out. But if it’s a smaller theatre such as the Landor, Finborough or Jermyn Street, you can make eye contact and pick people out, it feels more like you are performing in front of a group of individuals. The Courtyard is quite a reasonable sized theatre actually so I think it is more of a blend of the two.

Cassidy in Blood Wedding

After Blood Wedding you are returning to the Menier Chocolate Factory to star in Candide. The cast are incredible – you must be very excited?!
I am ridiculously excited! I was in the Menier Chocolate Factory’s first musical Tick, Tick... Boom! in 2005 and haven’t had the opportunity to work there again for eight years now so I’m really excited about going back! Especially because it’s a completely different show - Tick, Tick... Boom! was a rock musical but obviously Candide is an operetta and a farce. It’s going to be so funny and the cast are crazily talented and I’m looking forward to working with Matthew White (Director) because I’ve only ever worked with him as an actor. We did Company together at the Southwark Playhouse and he’s quite possibly the nicest man in the universe! He’s told me a few things about what he has in mind for my character already and I can’t wait to try them out.

As somebody who was in one of the Chocolate Factory’s first productions, why do you think it has built up such a formidable reputation?
I think David Babani (Artistic Director) and Danielle Tarento, who was originally there when I worked there last time, had a vision. At the time I remember getting an audition for the Menier Chocolate Factory and I was like “Who? What? Where?”. I’m probably going to miss quote him, but I remember David Babani being on the phone and saying something along the lines of “You don’t understand. We’re not Jermyn Street, we’re the Donmar.” He knew then the theatre was going to put on classy, big productions which would go on to transfer to the West End because they are such incredibly put-together shows which respect creative teams and casts. It was amazing being there before it became what it is now, I feel very privileged to have had that experience. 

One of the biggest roles you’ve played is Elphaba during your time as the Standby in the West End production. What are your memories of playing such an iconic role?
Wow – I mean I was in the original London cast! To have been there with the most insane people –Adam Garcia, Nigel Planer and Idina Menzel who I adore! She is probably my favourite Elphaba, I just thought that she had a real magic about her and I felt so honoured to be a cover for the role. The memories of that time are very exciting. When Idina left there was this unbelievable weekend where Idina did her last show on the Saturday night, Kerry Ellis did the Monday night and then I was on for the Tuesday evening performance! I remember it being a month of finding out I was on last minute all the time because bless Kerry Ellis, I think she popped a vocal cord or something and couldn’t do all eight shows for a while so she could slowly build up her stamina. I often had to help out and go on at the last minute. It was an absolute dream to get on as much as I did over the two years that I was there, I felt like I had my own portrayal of Elphaba. I haven’t had to use my voice like that in a very long time, but it’s nice to know that I have the capacity to sing like that if I need to! Although at the moment I’m loving doing a play where I can roll out of bed not having to worry about warming up [laughs]!

Another show that you’ve been in which I adored was the West End premiere of Lend Me A Tenor The Musical. Everybody actor wants to create a role in a new West End show so what was the experience like for you?
Lend Me A Tenor was unbelievably exciting. The talent and love from the producers trickled down to everybody involved and everyone knew just how special the show was – everyone, from the person with the smallest part right up to the producers. It was truly funny and truly brilliantly written and truly brilliantly composed. I remember recording the cast album. I think we had an eighteen piece orchestra at the Angel Recording Studios and it was like “oh my goodness, this is it!” It’s what you dream of doing when you’re in musical theatre. Even now people stop me in auditions and say “You were in Lend Me A Tenor, damn shame, it didn’t deserve to close. We loved it.” The people who did come and see it couldn’t believe it was closing and I really hope one day Lend Me A Tenor receives the run it deserves. That show deserves better than what happened. 

Cassidy in Lend Me A Tenor

I saw it twice and I just felt like I was watching a classic piece of theatre!
Yay! When I was in Avenue Q I would have stayed in it for as long as I could, but it closed [laughs], it was so funny but you couldn’t invite everybody to it because it was very politically incorrect. But I believe Lend Me A Tenor was as funny as Avenue Q, but open to all. There was nothing rude or politically incorrect about it so it was open to everyone of all ages from all backgrounds. It would have lifted a lot of people’s spirits during the recession and tough times. It was a special show but sadly these things happen. 

You’re busy for months with Blood Wedding and Candide, but what would you like to do next?
What I really am intrigued to do is a television comedy sitcom. Recently I’ve been doing quite a few short films and a little bit of TV, and I’ve really enjoyed transferring all my acting experience into a different playing field. It’s been fascinating learning how the camera works and about the different discipline. 

What are some of your favourite shows in London at the moment?
I recently went to press night of The Lyons at the Menier Chocolate Factory and – my god – it was incredible! It was so funny and I was really moved by Isla Blair’s performance. That’s my main recommendation at the moment! Matilda is another show I think people should see and The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time is brilliant. 

Over your career you’ve built up a very loyal following. What’s it like having that kind of support behind you?
It is really nice! I had an injury last year and had to take some time off to get better, and when I started working again this year, so many of my fans came along and were like “Where have you been? When will you be back on the West End stage? We’ve missed you!” It was lovely! I love what I do and would do it if nobody liked me, but it’s lovely that people appreciate and want to see my work. 

Interviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)

Blood Wedding runs at the Courtyard Theatre until 16th November 2013. 
Visit www.thecourtyard.org.uk for further information and tickets.

Candide opens at the Menier Chocolate Factory on 2nd December 2013 (previews from 22nd November) and runs until to 22nd February 2014. 
Visit www.menierchocolatefactory.com for further information and tickets.

Photo Credit 1: Scott Rylander

No comments:

Post a Comment