Thursday 24 October 2013

Interview: Hayley Gallivan

Hayley Gallivan is currently standby Elphaba in the West End production of Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre. She will soon leave the musical to star as Nancy in the Sheffield Crucible's revival of Oliver. 

Hayley’s other theatre credits include: 'Hermia' in A Midsummer Night's Dream and Ragtime (Regent's Park Open Air Theatre), 'Olive Ostrovsky' in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (Donmar), 'Jan' in Grease (Piccadilly Theatre), 'Martha' in the original cast of Spring Awakening (Lyric Hammersmith and Novello), 'Fruma Sarah' in Fiddler On The Roof (national tour), 'Deb' in Ordinary Days (Finborough), 'Nancy' in The Boyfriend and Lady Be Good (Regent's Park Open Air Theatre), 'Alice Fitzwarren' in Dick Whittington (Swansea Grand) and Follies in Concert (Palladium). She also took part in the National Theatre’s workshop of The Light Princess.

Wicked, which is currently booking until 1st November 2014, has been seen by over 5 million people since its premiere in September 2006. Stephen Schwartz’s musical tells the incredible untold story of the Witches of Oz and is already the 15th longest-running West End musical of all time.

Recently I spoke to Hayley about landing the part, playing Elphaba for the first time and what it was like to recently perform on the show’s seventh birthday…

You’ve nearly finished your run in Wicked, can you believe that it’s almost come to an end already?
It’s so weird because it feels like I’ve been there for such a long time, but at the same time I feel like I’m only just getting started! It’s an odd combination of emotions but I’m going to be very sad to say goodbye to Elphaba. 

Going back to when you first got the part, how did it feel when you found out you had been cast as standby Elphaba?
It was just beyond amazing really! I was the person who went to the first ever preview in London and from the moment it started I was completely swept up and crying [laughs] and then I was the person who went to the show’s press night which was incredible. When I was training I used to sing ‘No Good Deed’ in my performance classes, I was just completely in awe of the show – the songs and story and everything about it is just so magical so to get the call saying “you’re going to be playing Elphaba”, and to know that as standby I would be given guaranteed shows was a dream come true. I know everybody says that, but for me it was something I so wanted to tick off my list of roles to play and the phone call was just extraordinary. 

So what was it like to go from singing ‘No Good Deed’ in your performance classes to singing it in the West End production during your first show?! It must have been very surreal?
It was beyond words! Obviously you can’t see yourself green on-stage, but every time I caught a glimpse of my hands or looked down and saw my costume I got that realisation of where I actually was! My first show was a total blur, I was lucky because it wasn’t last minute and it was a Saturday so I had two shows. The first show was a blur but then afterwards I got to do it again straight away and I was able to take it all in a little bit more – I have had such an amazing time! Quite a few friends have come to see me who remember me singing that song when I was training and they said that the second ‘No Good Deed’ started they were like “ahhh” because they knew how much I wanted to do it!

Recently you played Elphaba on the show’s seventh birthday – what was that like? Seven years before you were in the audience!
To play Elphaba on such an occasion was just… I mean the audience were incredible. When I finished ‘The Wizard & I’ that evening I could feel this roar from the audience and it was unbelievable. I don’t think I’ve ever felt as amazing as I did in that moment. 

As a Wicked fan you had seen so many other actresses play Elphaba. How did you find making the role your own? When I recently saw you play Elphaba I thought you played it very differently…
Well I’ve watched the show many times and have enjoyed every single performance that I’ve ever seen. But in my head I always knew that if I had the chance to play Elphaba I would like to try a couple of things. I had the rehearsal process to discover the character a little bit more and then obviously doing performances and working with Gina (Beck, who plays Glinda) developed the chemistry between us. Things change over time and I absolutely love doing it – it’s been quite cool actually! It’s nice that people say they feel I’ve brought something different. As an actress that’s really lovely to hear because my job is to give my take on a part.

What are the cast and team like to work with? The atmosphere at Wicked must be very exciting?
Everybody is amazing. Whenever I do a sneaky show watch, so I can recap on everything, I’m always blown away by how exceptionally talented everybody in the cast is. There’s not one person on that stage who doesn’t work hard enough. Everybody in Wicked is just phenomenal; I don’t know how they’ve managed to bring such an incredible bunch of people together. The fact that everybody is so passionate and enthusiastic about the show after seven years is an exemplary thing and the vibe in the building is great and everybody gets on very well.

Why do you think Wicked is such a successful show? What is its magic ingredient?
I have had this same discussion with so many people over the years. It has everything you would expect from a musical… and more. Even though it’s magic the show has heart – the people and story are so real. You feel as if you can connect to the story and identify with the characters. The costumes, lighting, sound and music are all incredible but Wicked also has something extra. The story pulls you in so many different directions – people will laugh one minute, then feel sorry for a character and then feel excited the next. I love the contrast of singing ‘I’m Not That Girl’ and then ‘Defying Gravity’. It’s just a wonderful piece of theatre and so many different people keep coming back and finding something new within the show. It’s an extraordinary piece of theatre.

After leaving Wicked you will star as Nancy in the Sheffield Crucible's revival of Oliver. Where do you go after playing two such iconic roles?!
I have a clear path in my head as to where I want to go. You just have to work and continue to pursue your ambitions in this industry and hopefully everything will work out!

Do you ever think about dream roles or do you just wait and see what opportunities come your way?
I’m not sure if I do at the moment. Just before Wicked I played Hermia in A Midsummer Night’s Dream at the Regents Park Open Air Theatre. At first I felt out of my depth but after a couple weeks of rehearsals I fell completely in love with it and I think I would like to do some more straight acting. I don’t think I’ll ever stop singing but it would be nice to mix it up a little bit and do some Shakespeare, or some TV – but you just never know!

What are some of your favourite shows in the West End at the moment?
I do love Jersey Boys –the music’s great. What else? I always go and watch things which have limited runs because I don’t want to miss them. Earlier this year I saw Jamie Lloyd’s Macbeth which blessed me, I was completely pumped afterwards – it was just amazing. I’m really looking forward to seeing The Light Princess at the National, I did the workshop a few years ago so I’m intrigued to see how it’s been put together. To be honest I just love everything! 

Imagine you have to move to a desert island and you can only take three musical theatre songs… which three would you take?
Oh my gosh! This is really difficult! Three songs that I would take… For me to sing or listen to?

Either – up to you.
I could be here for hours! Ok… Not A Day Goes By from Merrily We Roll Along, Defying Gravity from Wicked and I’m Here from The Color Purple. 

Finally, you have so much incredible support behind you. Earlier this year your fans voted you third place in our Understudy of the Year Award and they have been requesting this interview for a long time! How does it feel to have so much support behind you?
I’m just so, so grateful. I’ve been working in the business for a while, and I’ve been doing fairly well and have really enjoyed myself, and to have the added bonus of people appreciating the work I do is incredible. The support, love and encouragement is just amazing and I can’t thank them enough for being so lovely, their kindness and generosity is overwhelming. I’ve had a few fans over the years who have come and seen every show but starting Wicked was like a whole new ball game and I feel very lucky. 

Interviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)
andrew@westendframe.com 


Wicked is currently booking at the Apollo Victoria Theatre until 1st November 2014.
Click here to book tickets (no booking fee offer).

Click here to read a recent Editor's Blog featuring a mention to Hayley's performance in Wicked.

Photo Credit (1&2): Dan Wooller

Wicked related interviews
Rachel Tucker

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this interview to everybody involved, Hayley is my most seen Elphaba and I hope she will one day return to the show as full time Elphaba in the West End or on tour or on Broadway. She seems so humble and I am currently looking into hotels so I can see her in Oliver! Thanks Hayley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 7th anniversary show was just incredible! Vocally the best Elphaba ever!!!

    ReplyDelete