Tuesday 29 October 2013

Interview: Adelayo Adedayo

Adelayo Adedayo is currently rehearsing for her stage debut in the London première of The Dead Wait at the Park Theatre.

Adelayo trained at the Identity School of Acting and has gone on to have a successful film and television career. She is currently starring as Viva in the second series of Some Girls on BBC3. She has also appeared in: M.I. High, Skins and Meet The Bandais. Her film work includes: Gone Too Far (which premieres at this year's London Film Festival), Sket and Family Legacy.

The Dead Wait will open at the Park Theatre early next month, running until December. The play is based, in part, on Paul Herzberg’s experiences of serving as a conscript during the time of the Angolan war and the remarkable events connected to another soldier. It was shortlisted for the Verity Bargate Award, and on its UK première at The Royal Exchange received three Manchester Evening News Award nominations.

I recently spoke to Adelayo during a break from rehearsals about what it’s like working so closely with the playwright, if she has any first night nerves and how the experience compares to her work on screen...

The Dead Wait marks your stage debut. What was it that attracted you to this particular role and show?
It’s a play about the Angolan war and everything that happened at that time. But within that, and what really makes the play, is the relationships. It’s a play about the way people behave towards each other when they are in certain situations. It’s a very moving and touching piece and straight away I really liked it for that reason. And although Lily, who I play, is the only woman in the play alongside three men she very much holds her own. When she comes into the story she arrives almost like ‘here I am, this is my story and we’re going to do it my way’ which I really love. 

How do you think audiences will react? Do you think they’re going to become swept up and taken on a journey?
Of course! Personally I didn’t actually know very much about the Angolan war and that the South African army were even in Angola or anything like that, but when I first read the play it didn’t matter that I didn’t know any of that because I just went on this big journey with the characters and their relationships and how small conversations can just make you go ‘wow’. I definitely think audiences will feel the same way, well I hope they do anyway!

Not only has Paul Herzberg written the play based on his own experiences, but he also stars in the production. What is it like to act opposite and work so closely with the writer? It must make everything seem more real?
It does, I mean Paul is really lovely and he’s like the father of the group - he has that kind of aura around him. One day we were sitting around discussing one of the scenes in the script and it suddenly clicked for me that what I was reading is actually real! But he doesn’t impose his opinions, he really steps back and lets Joe (Harmston), our director, direct us, unless we have any questions and then he is always on hand which is great. We’re very lucky. 

There are only four of you in the cast, what’s the atmosphere like in the rehearsal room?
It’s intense. When we first started there was a lot of tweaking to be done and we really had to get to know the characters because it’s a very deep play, so when we really get into it it’s very intense, but as soon as that stops everyone is so easygoing. I’m the youngest and it’s nice to sit with everyone and just listen to them talk and compare stories, it’s a really nice atmosphere. I’m used to working with people my age or younger even, so going into it I was like ‘oh my gosh they’re all going to be so much more experienced’. But I feel fine and it’s very different to what I’m used to in a good way!


And how are you feeling about your actual stage debut?! Do you have any first night nerves yet?
[laughs] I’m trying not to concentrate on it too much at the moment. The night before I’m sure my heart will be beating out of my chest! But I’m very excited which is good, I’m not crippled with nerves. I just need to hold onto that excitement and I’ll be fine [laughs]! 

The Park Theatre is very intimate and as an actor you’re very exposed. Does that scare or excite you?
I prefer it! I went to see Thark at the Park Theatre and I remember sitting there and thinking ‘this space is great’. I think it’s exactly the right place for me to make my stage debut because it isn’t overwhelmingly massive or huge and you can really connect with the audience and feed off their energy. 

Was theatre something you always wanted to get into?
I have always wanted to do theatre, when I first started acting I did lots of showcases and various things on stage so I was used to theatre acting before I went into television. I’ve just always been busy with film and television and there hasn’t been the right time to get into theatre... but now it has happened and I’m very happy about it!

You are currently starring in the second series of Some Girls on BBC3, are you pleased with the final result?
Yes, I’m very pleased with how it’s going! It’s nice because we’re on the second series now so the characters are well established and it’s great to get feedback from fans who are like ‘I never knew that would happen’ or ‘that is so crazy!’ 


Working on the show must be completely different to doing The Dead Wait! 
Very different! Some Girls isn’t just different because it’s TV... but also because it’s a TV comedy. Everything is so fast, it’s like ‘click click click, go’ and then you come to a production like The Dead Wait, which is so moving and so deep, and you realise that the two really are on opposite ends of the spectrum. One piece of advice I had from someone who made their stage debut a few months ago was that people get very stressed about the transition between film and TV and theatre but she said to me “it’s all acting, so when you get into that rehearsal room you just get into character and build upon that and the theatre element will just come.” It’s not like you have to arrive in the rehearsal room and act like “this is theatre, I have to be very theatrical” and that was very good advice and it has really helped me. 

Do you get the chance to see much theatre?
I do actually! I haven’t been for quite a while; Thark was the last thing I saw. I really wanted to see Routes at the Royal Court, I bought tickets but then couldn’t go at the last minute! I had a friend in it so was gutted!

You mentioned the fans from Some Girls who I’m sure will follow you to The Dead Wait. It must be amazing having that kind of support?
You said it – that’s the word – it is amazing. To know that people see your work, like it, enjoy it and ask you to do more is an amazing thing. You just want to tell a story whether it’s a funny story, a difficult story or a deep story, and all you can ask is for people to enjoy it.

Interviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)

The Dead Wait opens at the Park Theatre on Friday 8th November (previews from 6th November) and runs until Sunday 1st December 2013. Please visit www.parktheatre.co.uk for further information and tickets.

Click here to check out West End Frame's latest interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment