Wednesday 17 August 2016

EdFringe Review: Showstopper - The Improvised Musical at Pleasance Grand



Showstopper: The Improvised Musical
Pleasance Grand
Running Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Reviewed on Sunday 14th August 2016

On Sunday evening the Pleasance Grand was packed, with the audience eagerly awaiting to see fringe favourites The Showstoppers. Fresh from their Olivier Award-winning West End run, the company have returned to Edinburgh for another summer of spectacular improvisational madness as they create a new musical each night. 

The Showstoppers were so slick that I had to continuously remind myself that I was watching an improvised show - I felt as if I was genuinely sat watching a new, rehearsed musical called We Will Rioja You. The show missed a sense of play between the characters, but the talent of each performer was insane. 

The actors, musicians and technicians were on the mark throughout; musical numbers were created on the spot in the styles of musicals including The King and I, Matilda and (my personal favourite) Cabaret with tremendous ease. A special mention must go to the fierce queen Pippa Evans whose improvised rap was off the scale. 

The Showstoppers provide a thoroughly enjoyable evening; they had the audience in stitches. Although I may not be chasing the opening of We Will Rioja You in the near future, I will certainly be visiting The Showstoppers again as they continue their season of monthly shows in London. 

Reviewed by Lucy Beirne

Showstopper: The Improvised Musical runs at Pleasance Grand to Sunday 28th August 2016. Click here for info and tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment