Thursday 7 April 2016

Heather Headley taking over from Jennifer Hudson in The Color Purple

It has been announced that Heather Headley will join Cynthia Erivo in The Color Purple on Broadway. 

Headley will star as Shug Avery from 10th May 2016, taking over from Jennifer Hudson in John Doyle's production. 

Headley said: "I am humbled to be joining this immensely talented group of actors. I can't think of a better way to return to the Broadway stage than in this extraordinary show, helping to tell Alice Walker's story." 

Hudson said: “I owe so much to the Broadway community and our audiences. My heart is full as I say to Broadway, ‘until we meet again.’"

Headley won a Tony Award for Aida and made her Broadway debut in The Lion King. She starred in the original West End production of The Bodyguard.

The cast also includes Danielle Brooks, Kyle Scatliffe, Isaiah Johnson and Joaquina Kalukango.

No comments:

Post a Comment