Monday 25 April 2016

Guest Blog: Emma Naomi - Deathwatch

It has been a privilege to have my London debut at The Print Room. The Coronet is steeped in history; a fantastic and eccentric venue. And what a play! It's been a challenge but a good one. I feel "Deathwatch" requires a physical and vocal rigour that consolidates the training I have had. Anything less and the play cannot survive. This is also the smallest ensemble I have ever been a part of; there are only four of us.

During our first week we worked very closely with David Rudkin who translated the text from its original French. Any questions and problems we had were addressed early on in the rehearsal process. The fact that the play has been translated from another language hasn't changed my approach to the text. I am trying to do justice to the characters I'm playing and that will always be the case. I would say, however, that a great deal more research is required to understand the context of the characters' lives.

Deathwatch is my second theatre job, the first playing Mercy Lewis in The Crucible, Bristol Old Vic. I was lucky enough to find I had won the part on our last day of third year and it allowed me to relax and research over the summer. The ensemble took me under their wing and I had a fantastic time.

My favourite part of the rehearsal process has been the physical training. We have been doing circuits every other day including press ups, pull ups, plank, boxing, skipping and high intensity leg work. I also think it's fantastic that Coronet Print Room have been working alongside prisoners at HMP Brixton throughout this. Prisoners have been able to send their art for an exhibition in one of their studios here where their works can be bought. Proceeds go back to the prison for art materials. Not only that, but they were generous enough to allow us to visit and ask prisoners and staff alike any questions we may have had in regards to the text.

Now we are well and truly into the run I'm excited to see what new discoveries we make!

Emma Naomi

Deathwatch runs at the Print Room at the Coronet until 7th May 2016.
Please visit www.the-print-room.org for further information and tickets. 

Photo Credit: Marc Brenner

No comments:

Post a Comment