Wednesday 14 October 2015

#SummerSays: Don't Forget To Play

When I was little, my parents’ nickname for me was ‘Duracell Bunny’. Too much energy, too much excitement, too much talking, not enough listening. 

To be fair, I’m still working on that one, but what I've come to realise, is that it's quite difficult to change who you are. It’s also something that you shouldn't have to do; if you're full of magic energy and like to be a busy bee - wonderful. Just make sure that whilst buzzing around being busy, you don't forget to play.

We all know that life is all about balance. About dancing in heels all night on a Saturday and being barefoot with some OJ on a Sunday. It's something we often get reminded of, but sometimes we forget how important it is to remind ourselves of how well things are going and realise it's alright to have some play time. Sometimes now, working six days a week, by the time Sunday arrives I feel like I've run out of batteries. That's when I'll write in my diary and plan the play time for the following week. 

Everyone is different, some people are workaholics, some people come to work, get the job done and go home to their lives. Both are inspiring in their own ways

I think I'm striving for the middle of those. If you're naturally a workaholic and someone who thrives on working hard, it's never as easy remembering to play. Maybe you put a lot of pressure on yourself to be the best you can every day? Reality check - nobody is perfect and nobody can give their all one hundred per cent of the time. So be nice to yourself! There is nothing wrong with nice. 

Playing could be shaking a tail feather all night long on a Saturday or alternatively it could be reading a great book or having a glass of much-needed wine with a friend. Whatever it is that makes you play, it's vital and it's something we must all make time for. Often I wonder and ask people if you can have the best of both worlds; if you really can have it all? Be a workaholic and have a life? I’m still figuring that one out as I go, but I know that having play ultimately helps my work. So that's a start. 

Allow yourself some wasted time and give yourself the chance to take a break from the screen, the diary and the emails. Remember that one day, not so long ago, people lived without iPhones and the internet. They managed, so can we. 

E.E. Cummings wrote: ‘To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you're ever going to fight. Never stop fighting.’

Milly’s Muses: Keep fighting for what you want to be and achieve. If that's fighting to get the perfect balance then you'll get there. Be yourself and be confident in your choices! You have nothing to lose!

Milly Summer
@MillySummer


Milly Summer (25) is assistant to Michael Garrett at leading London talent agency Global Artists.
Global Artists website: www.globalartists.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment