Friday 2 October 2015

Details announced for The Wind in the Willows musical

It has been announced that a new musical adaptation of The Wind in the Willows will open at the Theatre Royal in Plymouth on 8th October 2016.

The show will then run at The Lowry in Salford from 26th October 2016  before transferring to the West End (theatre to be confirmed).

Based on Kenneth Grahame’s treasured novel , The Wind in the Willows has been adapted for the stage with a book by Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes and Olivier Award-winning composer and lyricist team George Stiles and Anthony Drewe

The Wind in the Willows marks the first time the three have worked together since their hugely successful collaboration on the international hit musical Mary Poppins which ran for three years in the West End and six years on Broadway.

Rachel Kavanaugh directs with design by Peter McKintosh and lighting design by Howard Harrison.

Jamie Hendry (Producer) said: “I am delighted that we will be opening The Wind in the Willows in two of the country’s most prestigious venues prior to the West End. It has been a joy working with such a distinguished team of writers and creatives to develop that rare thing – a new British musical. I can’t wait to get the show on the road and invite audiences to share in our journey next year!”

Fellowes said: "I could not be more pleased to have been working on this new production of The Wind in the Willows, which has been a favourite of mine literally all my life. It has been a real privilege to be part of the team re-imagining it for the musical stage. As an added bonus, I've really enjoyed being back in the Stiles/Drewe/Fellowes team with our last production of Mary Poppins being a high point for all of us. 

"Naturally, I have similar hopes for The Wind in the Willows and I shall be on the edge of my seat when we open at Plymouth, a marvellous theatre and the perfect launch pad for us to begin. Of course I would say all this, wouldn't I? But I do believe audiences everywhere will love the adventures of Toad, Ratty, Mole, Badger and their friends, on stage, as much as they have always loved the book. I certainly hope so, anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment