Wednesday 9 September 2015

#SummerSays: Knowing Your Worth

How many times have you done something because you've felt you had to? How often have you been in a situation where all you long for is to be at home with your own comforts and your Mac? I've had many of those times, playing far too much of the yes game, when I should have stuck to my gut instinct and remembered that it's invariably right.

Remembering your worth is not about being a big deal, or thinking that your time is more special than others. It's about carefully nurturing yourself and having confidence in the knowledge that you are capable of great things. You have to know that you are good enough and worth it, as once you master belief in yourself, nobody can steal that love from you. It’s not pride, it’s self-respect. You cannot expect to see exciting changes or progression if you surround yourself with negativity and worry, so don’t give part-time people or things a full-time position in your life.

Alysia Harris wrote ‘The moment you feel like you have to prove your worth to someone is the moment to absolutely and utterly walk away’. I’m sure we have all had that feeling, whether in a relationship, at work, or with friends. I know I have, and I have a close friend going through it at the moment – but actually, what I often tell her and what I think is worth sharing with you, is that when you remember to remind yourself that your value and morals will never decrease based upon someone’s inability to see your worth. You’ll be ok.

My parents have always told me that in life there are two kinds of people: ‘givers’ and ‘takers’ . If you’re a giver you're the same as me, wanting to be there for everyone possible with the desire to throw yourself into absolutely everything, which actually leaves you with very little, because what's the point if you never invest time for yourself and are drowning trying to be everyone’s anchor? Givers have to set limits, because takers rarely do.

Milly Summer
I now realise that, as I look back on my life so far, every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being re-directed to something better. You will know when you’re on the right track, as you’ll be disinterested in ever looking back. Be bold enough to use your voice, brave enough to listen to your heart, and go forward confidently in your choices, remembering your worth at all times and being appreciative for everything you have, as there is so much to be appreciative for.

I can't write it all down in words in a blog, as everything for me is an ongoing learning process, but I take pride in the fact that every day I learn something new, am excited to be part of one amazing team, and slowly but surely am finding my voice. I think the moment that we know our worth, know we are doing our best and are enough, then things start to change. Stop wishing for every weekend, stop wishing time away, and most definitely ignore anyone who moans about Monday, as you should want to start every week on a high. You ride the wave that is life, taking each day as it comes with contentment and enthusiasm.

Someone very special, who I look up to a huge amount, once told me that the harder you work and the more you give, the more people expect it from you. This is not necessarily a good thing, as it encourages people to take advantage of your good nature – so best to be aware of this and manage it well.

If you are interested in something, run at it, grab it with huge opens arms, and give it everything you possibly can. Never be afraid of failing, as we all know that without failure we would never learn a thing.

Milly Muses: You may not always end up where you thought you were going, but you will definitely end up where you are supposed to be. I hope you all know your worth and how special you are, each and every one of you.

Milly Summer

Milly Summer (25) is assistant to Michael Garrett at leading London talent agency Global Artists.
Global Artists website: www.globalartists.co.uk

This concludes Milly's first #SummerSays series. We have loved welcoming  Milly to the West End Frame family and hope she'll be back with more #SummerSays blogs in the future... watch this space!

Click here to read more #SummerSays blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment