Following a ten year stint playing Steph Cunningham in Hollyoaks, Carley Stenson has become an established West End star.
After leaving Hollyoaks she joined the West End production of Legally Blonde The Musical at the Savoy Theatre, playing Elle Wood’s ditzy friend Margot. Carley then took over the lead role when Susan McFadden left the show, playing Elle until the production closed in April 2012.
She then went straight into the West End production of Shrek The Musical at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane to play Princess Fiona, taking over from Kimberley Walsh. Most recently Carley starred in The West End Men at the Vaudeville Theatre.
Carley is currently starring in the UK premiere of [title of show] at this year’s Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Carley plays Susan in the hilarious multi award-winning Broadway musical which is about two guys writing a musical about two guys writing a musical.
I recently spoke to Carley about what attracted her to the project, her time in Legally Blonde and what she would like to do next…
They're going really well! We have done a lot of laughing and had some nice bonding sessions!
You are starring in the UK premiere of the show, is it nice to have the opportunity to create a role instead of joining an established show?
Oh definitely! It’s something that I've never had the chance to do on stage before so this is a step in the right direction for me. Although I must admit, it is a little bit more nerve wracking!
Most recently you have starred in big West End musicals, how do you feel about performing in a more intimate production?
Well – it is completely different to anything I've ever done before which is why the production appealed to me. The writing is really current and out there and has such a great vibe which is why I love the show so much.
![]() |
| The cast of [title of show] |
How familiar were you with [title of show] before you became involved with the production?
I wasn't very familiar with the show at all! I didn't know much but have since realised what a brilliant piece of theatre [title of show] is. A few of my friends knew about it and told me how much they loved it. It’s only now that I've realised just how popular the show is and why so many people love it! As soon as I was approached about doing the show I bought the album and read the script. I loved it, especially because Susan is such a great character and completely different to anyone I've played before.
What can people expect from the show?
It’s very funny and is guaranteed to make you laugh, it’s so fresh and different. The style of the writing is very unique and the songs are catchy and upbeat. There are lots of great one-liners, everyone who comes to see it will have lots of fun!
How would you describe the music?
Contemporary, half of it’s spoken with different rhythms and melodies. It’s fascinating to sit and watch four people create a musical, it’s very unpredictable.
What are the cast like to work with? It sounds like you're having a great time!
Oh we are! It’s great that everyone gets on so well because it’s such a small cast. In fact, most of the time there is only six of us in the rehearsal room – the cast, our MD and our director. The whole process has been such an intimate affair and we're so lucky that everyone is so normal, lovely and on the same page!
And you're reunited with one of your ex-Legally Blonde cast members…
I am! Robbie (Towns) will love me for saying this, but he breaks the ice between us all and keeps everyone laughing – he’s great and it’s so lovely to be working with him again.
I am! Robbie (Towns) will love me for saying this, but he breaks the ice between us all and keeps everyone laughing – he’s great and it’s so lovely to be working with him again.

Carley in Hollyoaks
I do! I mean I stayed there for so long because I loved the show so much and I really do miss it! I can't bring myself to watch the show most of the time because it feels as if all my mates are having a big laugh without me! Everyone who works on the show are still like my second family, I’ve stayed in touch with everyone and when I see people it’s always easy to pick up from where we left off – there’s never any awkwardness.
While you were in Hollyoaks did you always know at the back of your mind that you wanted to get into musical theatre?
Yeah I did, musical theatre is where I started! When I was three I went to all the dance classes – ballet, tap, modern and all that jazz! From there I entered various performing competitions and eventually got an agent when I was fifteen. I got into Mountview and was offered a role in Hollyoaks so had a big decision to make – I could have either taken the job and seen where that took me or trained, which could have lead to getting a job. At the time it made sense to accept Hollyoaks and to enjoy the experience while learning on the job. I thought I could go back as a mature student but I ended up staying in Hollyoaks for ten years! I learnt so much during my time on the show and made sure I kept up with my singing and dancing at the same time so I could keep my options open. I knew deep down that musical theatre is where my heart is, I love putting singing, dancing and acting together and performing live on stage and getting that adrenalin.
After you left Hollyoaks, Legally Blonde was your first big West End show. You must have had a ball?!
My goodness – it was a massive journey! I don't think it’s possible for anything to ever top Legally Blonde. I completely changed during my time in the show and I learnt so much! I came across so many challenges and hurdles which I never thought I would be able to cross, but something came out of me and I managed it! I miss the show so much but the whole experience made me so much stronger… I hope [laughs]! I do genuinely love Legally Blonde, everytime I hear one of the songs or think about what I was able to do I have the most amazing feeling inside. It feels incredible to have been part of the show.

Carley & Lee Mead in Legally Blonde The Musical
Most recently you joined The West End Men for a week, taking over from Kerry Ellis. Did you enjoy performing alongside so many amazing performers?
It was great! Especially being surrounded by all those beautiful men! It was lovely and a very short and sweet experience for me. It was an absolute honour to take over from Kerry (Ellis) and I had a lovely week! I was back on the Strand and reunited with Lee (Mead) who I have obviously worked with before (they both starred in Legally Blonde together). To listen to the guys while I was in my dressing room each night was amazing. In fact, on the last night I sat in the audience for the first half, because I didn’t come on until Act Two. It gave me an extra buzz to watch them perform because I just felt so lucky to be singing alongside them!
What’s next for you after [title of show]?
I don't know yet… it will be my birthday [laughs]! I always wanted to play a Princess and then of course I got to play Princess Fiona in Shrek which was wonderful! I've always said that as long as the script and music is brilliant then I’m happy! I would love to get my teeth into a TV drama and Molly in Ghost The Musical is a dream role for me. After Shrek I said I wanted to do something new so I guess I'm halfway there with [title of show], as it’s the UK premiere.
![]() |
| Carley with Danny Mac |
What are some of your favourite shows at the moment?
Gosh! I still need to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Billy Elliot! I really enjoyed seeing One Man, Two Guvnors the other week – to be honest I just love them all! My boyfriend (Danny Mac) and I are very stagey as we go and see as many shows as possible! I also would love to see The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time – although I keep calling it Curious Incident of the Dog in the Pond because of Hollyoaks! I loved the book. I’ll see anything!
Finally, you have built up a very loyal fan base over the years, what’s it like having so much support behind you?
I feel so cheesy saying this, but I do feel really blessed! I'm so lucky and I just hope that I show them how much I appreciate it! I think the likes of Facebook and Twitter can be really good engines if we use them properly, constructive criticism is always good but you've got to have an understanding that everything is not for everyone – different people will always have different opinions. It’s lovely to have so much positive support through Twitter and I think that’s what it should be used for.
andrew@westendframe.com
[title of show] runs at the Assembly Checkpoint between 1st - 26th August 2013.
Click here to book tickets.
Click here to read our interview with Carley from February 2013.
Click here to book tickets.
Click here to read our interview with Carley from February 2013.
Photo Credit 4 - Ellie Kurtz



No comments:
Post a Comment