Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Interview: Jonathan Harvey, writer of Beautiful Thing

Following a triumphant West End run, Jonathan Harvey's play Beautiful Thing is now on a short UK Tour visiting Liverpool (until 1st June), Leeds (3rd - 8th June) and Brighton (10th - 15th June).

Jonathan Harvey wrote Beautiful Thing when he was just 24. It premiered at the Bush Theatre in 1993 and sold out its five-week run before transferring to the Donmar Warehouse, and then the Duke of York’s, eventually winning its author an Olivier Award nomination and the John Whiting Award. A screen adaptation of the play was released in 1996 by Channel 4 films, which went on to be a cult hit. 

Jonathan is a regular writer for Coronation Street and wrote the TV hit series Gimme, Gimme, Gimme as well as the best-selling 2012 novel All She Wants. His plays include Canary and Corrie! Jonathan chats to West End Frame about writing the play, what he thinks of the new 20th Anniversary production and talks about his incredible career...

Are you pleased with the 20th Anniversary production of Beautiful Thing?
Yes, very much so. As soon as I saw the first read through I was very satisfied and could tell that it was going to be good! The cast are just great.

When did the idea first come to you?
I wrote the show in 1992 when I was a teacher during my six week summer holiday. I had previously written a few plays which had been put on and just before the start of the break my agency got rid of me because they said that I wasn't taking my writing seriously. So I decided I would write a play over the six weeks. I spent the first two weeks writing it long hand, the second two weeks typing it up on my typewriter and I sent it out to agents during the final two weeks. Then I had to decide what I would write about and that’s where it all started off – obviously there were also political reasons! But it was always about me creating a better piece of writing to get other agents interested.

What can people expect from the show?
A good short night out – it’s only two hours including an interval. People can expect to have a good laugh but also to be very touched; it’s a good mix of emotions.

Are you pleased with the cast?
Oh yes! I mean, I’ve known Suranne (Jones) for years as we worked on Coronation Street together and know each other socially. I also sort of knew Zaraah (Abrahams) because she was in Coronation Street for a while and the boys are great, it’s such a strong cast.

How does writing for TV compare to writing for stage?
It is very different! In fact the level of input from the writer on any job is different. With something like Coronation Street you hand your script in, you don’t go on set and get involved in the production. Theatre is a completely different world, with this play there was very little re-writing during the rehearsal process although with a new play there may be. So this was quite a nice job for me as I could just turn up and tell them they were doing it wrong (laughs). I’m joking. Nikolai Foster, the director, is great!

Why did you decide to go into teaching before becoming a writer?
I always wanted to be a writer but I knew that I had to have a life first so I had something to write about! So I trained to be a teacher which I am so glad I did because Beautiful Thing and a few of my other plays came from my various experiences as a teacher. I was very easy going, I thought if my writing didn’t take off I could just be a supply teacher a few days a week but luckily it never came to that! I was a teacher for two and a half years. I gave myself eighteen months to get a play on in London and within that time I had two shows on in the West End!

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Write! Just do it! You just have to get on with it, make time even if it’s over night!

What would you like to say to everyone who has supported you throughout your career?
Thank you very much! It’s a little bit embarrassing but I’m having a lovely time. I’m very selfish because I write things that I want to watch so it is a relief that other people want to watch it too!

Interviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)

Visit www.BeautThing.com for further information


1 comment: