Friday, 19 April 2013

Interview: Declan Bennett, currently starring in Once at the Phoenix Theatre

Declan Bennett is currently starring as 'Guy' in the West End production of Once at the Phoenix Theatre. Declan is a singer/ songwriter who writes candid pop music for a generation steeped in therapy and conversation. His penchant for sharing deeply honest tales of love and sexuality have won him a diverse and devoted fan base across the UK and America, arousing a relentless desire to listen to his unashamed, engaging lyrics again and again. 

No stranger to the stage (with mainstream chart success by the age of 20, a lead role in the award-winning pop biography ‘Taboo’ at 21, and an extended trip to America to star as Roger in the cult rock opera Rent), Declan released his second full-length album An Innocent Evening Of Drinking in April 2008. He went on to open for Boy George on his 31 date UK tour, widening his ever-expanding audience of listeners and soon after was asked to return to the States to join the original cast of Green Day’s American Idiot on Broadway.

Last summer he also starred alongside singer/songwriter Nellie McKay in his first feature film Downtown Express and his most recent music video for his song 'Freer' won Most Moving Video at the RightOut Video Music Awards. His 3rd album ‘record:BREAKUP’ is out now.

Are you enjoying your time in Once so far?
I'm having a great time. The cast, crew and creative team are among the most talented people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. I'm a huge fan of the score and of the piece's entire content. It’s a pleasure to have the opportunity to share Once with London audiences.

You had a short run in Dublin before transferring to the West End, how have the two runs compared so far? 
We all felt quite spoilt in Dublin because they welcomed us with open arms and gave us such a great reception after every show. We wondered how that would compare when we opened in London and thankfully the audiences have been the same here. 

When I saw the show many people were moved to tears, why do you think so many people have fallen in love with Once? 
I think the power of Once lies in its simplicity. Its ability to strip away all of the usual tricks and magic you see in a normal musical and rely solely on its delicate music and straightforward telling of a simple story about love and music. I think we've all felt the power of music to transform us on any given day and what it feels like to share that bond with another, and I think it's that sonic experience that the audience connects with. The raw honesty of the story ultimately has you reaching for tissues. 

Both the film and Broadway productions of Once have been hugely successful. When did you first hear about the show and decide you wanted to be part of it? 
I've been living in New York for seven years now but back in 2008 I came back home to play Glastonbury. Over that weekend my friend sent me a text saying I had to see this movie called Once. Just by chance we noticed it was playing in a tent at 2.00 am so my keyboard player and I wandered through the soaking muddy fields and sat in a tent with twenty other people and fell in love with it. I then saw it grow in New York and after seeing it downtown at New York Theatre Workshop I knew it was a piece that resonated so heavily with me and I wanted to be a part of it some day. 

What was the audition process like? 
It was challenging. This is definitely the biggest sing I've ever done on a show and I had to work a lot on my voice throughout the audition process to find my way of singing the songs. I think my work as a singer/songwriter helped a lot and ultimately I tried to keep my style of solo performance and use that to find ‘Guy’. Originally it was for the Broadway production but towards the end of the process they asked me if I wanted to come back to London and play the role. That was an awesome moment. 


What are the cast like to work with? 
Lovely and incredibly talented. Zrinka (Girl) is such a beautiful generous actress and gives so much on stage every night and I just love singing with her. The rest of the cast are so tuned in to each other and us that we really feel like this big band who grow every night, and we get better at listening to each other and knowing when one of us needs a hand. 

You share your character's love of music and have had a hugely successful music career. Have you ever found it hard balancing your music career with your acting and theatre work? 
I used to. I used to struggle with the seeming disparity between being a singer/songwriter and an actor. Since I hit my 30’s that disparity is disappearing. I no longer see so much difference between them, and I no longer feel the need to label myself as one or the other. I see myself as a creative artist and what I try and do is work on projects that resonate with me on a creative level and whatever form that takes is irrelevant. It's like a painter/artist choosing different tools to communicate his vision and that’s what I intend to keep doing. 

What can people expect from your own music? 
I write conversational music that lives in the raw honest side of life. I generally write songs based on truth and use it as a tool to try and understand life and ultimately myself. It's very lyrical. I love words and language - the dictionary app on my phone is my favourite thing in the world!

After Once, what is next for you? 
I'm releasing a live album shortly that I recorded in New York last December. I am also working on a new album to be released later this year. On top of that I'm developing a performance art piece that fuses live music, theatre, visuals and script based on my second album An Innocent Evening of Drinking. I like to keep busy. 

What would you like to say to everyone who has supported you throughout your career? 
I would like to put my arms around you and tell you that you have no idea how amazing you are and your support fuels me to keep creating. Thank you for helping me do what I love to do. There’s so much more to come! 

Interviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)

Click here to book tickets to see Once at the Phoenix Theatre

Follow Declan on Twitter: @thisainttherapy
Visit Declan's website: www.declanbennett.co.uk

Photo Credit: Manuel Harlan

Keep up to date with the latest theatre news, reviews & interviews on Twitter: @West_End_Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment