Thursday, 14 March 2013

Review: Viva Forever at the Piccadilly Theatre



Viva Forever 
Piccadilly Theatre
Reviewed on Wednesday 13th March 2013


"Viva Forever! is a romantic comedy that tells the story of a family thrown into chaos as Viva and her three best friends get swept up in a TV talent show where stars are born and dreams are shattered."

Over the last few months Viva Forever has been the most talked about musical in the West End. After opening to bad reviews the show has been tweaked and changed. This was my first time seeing the jukebox musical which features the music of the legendary Spice Girls.

I could tell you that Viva Forever is cheesy, predicable and very over acted by the cast. But the thing with Viva Forever is that you've simply got to take it for what it is. With shows like Legally Blonde and Priscilla Queen Of The Desert no longer dazzling West End audiences each night, the West End was almost crying out for a show like Viva Forever to open. I cannot think of a musical more suitable for a hen party or girls night out. Just drink plenty of wine first and you will love it!

The story of Viva Forever centres around a talent show called Star Maker (**cough cough** the X Factor). The story is relatable and relevant, Jennifer Saunders' witty writing makes fun out of our celebrity obsessed culture. I have been told by so many people that the writing is shocking but I can only presume the script has been adapted as on several occasions I found myself in fits of laughter. Yes it's silly - but what else did you expect from Jennifer Saunders? 

What didn't always work was the music. I do not think the issue lies with the Spice Girls not having enough hits as so many people have said - who cares if you don't know a couple of the songs? I didn't know every song in Mamma Mia yet I still loved every second. The issue with the score is that the songs feel forced and sometimes out of place. Sometimes the first two lines of a song would be vaguely relevant to the story but as many songs progressed they became meaningless.


Peter McKintosh's design is highly impressive. When the show began I sighed at the sight of another revolving stage but the concept was perfect with the huge set constantly appearing and disappearing seamlessly. I found Lynne Page's choreography underwhelming at times - I wanted more. The execution of a few numbers was also a little sloppy and could be tightened up.

Hannah John-Kamen's casting as Viva is pure genius. I found her tone incredibly refreshing as she doesn't have a stereotypical musical theatre sounding voice. She brings something new and exciting to the West End stage. Sally Ann Triplett is strong as Viva's mum, Lauren. One of my favourite moments was when Viva and her mum sang a mash up of Spice Girl hits Mama and Goodbye. It was very touching although became a little irritating when talent show judge Simone (Viva's mentor on Star Maker) joined in with the song. I presume this was meant to symbolise how Simone was coming in between Viva and her mother but instead of enjoying the powerful imagery I just wanted Viva and her mum to be left alone on stage so I could enjoy this tender moment. 

Besides this slight detail, Jennifer Saunders has written the role of Simone perfectly and Sally Dexter portrays the Sharon Osborne inspired judge hilariously. Tamara Wall gives a stand out performance as Karen, a blonde talent show judge from Essex. I loved the character and was waiting with anticipation for her big solo number... but unfortunately it never came! What a wasted opportunity.

Viva Forever is not perfect. If you don't like the Spice Girls and prefer to see deep and meaningful theatre just don't go, it's that simple. If you like the Spice Girls and want to have a fun night, without a care in the world, you will enjoy Viva Forever immensely. I think I have found myself a new guilty pleasure...

Click here to book tickets.

Reviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)

Keep up to date with the latest theatre news, reviews & interviews on Twitter: @West_End_Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment