Jamie Chapman Dixon trained as a dancer at Millennium Performing Arts before embarking on his career as a director. His performing credits include Centre of Attention (Bloomsbury Theatre) and the Les Misérables movie while directing credits include SPB (Soho Theatre) and the television pilot Almost Famous. He has also found time to found The Singers Soiree, a charity concert put on every two months. Jamie is currently directing Geek! A New Musical alongside Porl Matthews.
Last week I caught up with Jamie to discuss The Singers Soiree, Geek and how he got into directing...
How did the idea to create The Singers Soiree come about?
I was bored! I knew I had a few projects coming up but I had a bit of time off so I decided to set up The Singers Soiree, not only to keep myself occupied but also to give students a new opportunity. Now we have the third one coming up on 16th April.
What can audiences expect from The Singers Soiree
They are getting bigger and bigger but this upcoming third one is going to be slightly different. The original idea behind it was to have professionals sing alongside recent graduates and students, but this time I have handed over the entire first act to musical theatre composer Gary Albert Hughes. I don’t know what he’s doing yet but we are working together to produce a charity single for Shooting Star. We have a few very big household names involved which is very exciting! Its first public performance will be at The Singers Soiree in April.
So what kind of music will the performers be singing?
The first show was Musical Theatre overload – which is not for everyone! So for the second one we mixed it up a bit – we have opera, rapping and Forties hits as well as musical theatre. There really is something for everyone.
At the moment you are also very busy directing Geek! A New Musical. How did you become involved with the project?
CJ de Mooi is producing the show and I previously directed him in Pirates of Penzance. He came to me with the Geek’s script and I loved it. However, I explained that I don’t have enough time to direct the show on my own so Porl Matthews is co-directing. He is such a great guy so I’m so pleased to be working with him.
What is Geek all about?
It makes fun out of every single musical you have ever seen. When you watch so many musicals such as High School Musical, Grease, West Side Story and Rent, people continuously burst into song and dance for absolutely no reason – it makes no sense! Geek essentially makes fun out of that. It is very adult and just good fun. CJ is also in the show in drag as is Ewen Macintosh from the Office, his character has a big twist at the end. It is not meant to be taken seriously, you have to go in open minded, it will be ridiculous!
Are you looking forward to working with the cast?
We have a really good cast. I was involved with casting the show which was very hard. We have no ensemble meaning the entire cast of nine have to all be amazing singers and dancers. We had over 500 actors apply and cutting them down was so hard but I am delighted with our final cast, we got all the people we wanted.
Do you think the show is suited to an intimate theatre such as the Tristan Bates Theatre?
Yes I think so, our set designer is amazing. He has had an amazing career and he has sorted out every single detail. It’s all revolving and so on – I can’t wait to see it! The band is going to be raised into the air on a steel platform dressed as a school band – it is going to be so cool!
How did you get into directing?
I originally trained as a dancer and did performing arts. I only started dancing at 18 and knew I wasn't the best I also did a bit of directing which felt more natural and I was much happier directing than performing. Since graduating last July I have had seven contracts and haven’t stopped working.
So what advice would you give to aspiring directors?
Just go for it! You have to be proactive, you can't wait for opportunities to find you. You should go out and socialise and meet people who will help you.
What are the best shows you have seen recently?
I saw Gods Property at the Soho Theatre which was absolutely amazing! It was so beautiful and truthful. I've also seen A Chorus Line – you get what you expect but it’s not my favourite show. I also loved Rock Of Ages, it’s like Geek as it makes fun out of musical theatre. It is such good fun and a great night's entertainment!
What would you like to say to everyone who has supported you throughout your career?
I've got to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out. In this industry I have been introduced to so many people who have helped in various ways. Thanks to anyone who has helped me... and I’m happy to help others too!
Interviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)
Follow Jamie on Twitter: @JamieCDixon
The next Singers Soiree is at Battersea Barge on 16th April. Doors open at 7pm and tickets are just £7/£5 with all profits going to Shooting Star Chase.
Geek! A New Musical will premiere at the Tristan Bates Theatre in the heart of London’s West End with a short run from Monday 22nd April until Saturday 18th May 2013. Visit www.geekmusical.co.uk for further information and to book tickets.
Keep up to date with the latest theatre news, reviews & interviews on Twitter: @West_End_Frame
No comments:
Post a Comment