Thursday, 14 March 2013

Review: Tavaziva Dance's Greed (UK Tour) at The Place



Tavaziva Dance's Greed (UK Tour)
The Place
Reviewed on Wednesday 13th March 2013 (Press Night)


Greed portrays the "complexities of money, power and religion and the subtle and not so subtle differences between African and Western cultures". Well that's what we are told. This piece certainly has power but is it in the right places? Produced by Tavaziva Dance company and choreographed by Bawren Tavaziva, this sixty minute show was sure to have a bite.

The show starts off with two local schools (Paddington Academy and St Marylebone High School) performing a six minute piece each (Speak Out and Possess). Both pieces were performed by students from the respected schools and choreographed by members of Tavaziva Dance Company. Speak Out and Possess were a nice little warm up to the main event but to choose between the two curtain raisers I'd have to sway towards Possess.

Now to the main event, Greed. The piece opened with two principal dancers on stage. These two performers were my stand out dancers throughout the show. The show was choreographed to a very high standard technically but lost the storyline and meaning at times. All eight dancers, who have been trained to an exceptional level, give strong impressive performances. 

The costumes for the piece were black and white skin tight suits, with the exception of one dancer who wore a very similar suit in red with drapes hanging off her like rotting skin and filth. I loved the costumes and set despite them being very simplistic. It allowed the audience to use their imaginations. 

As the show continued I began to feel like I was in a drug-fuelled nightmare as I had no idea what was going on, yet I couldn't stop watching. There were a few moments which were uncomfortable to watch (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). 

Tavaziva Dance's Greed is pretty much faultless. While I would have liked to have seen some riskier choreography, I enjoyed myself and would recommend the show to others (but not to anyone under 12 or maybe even 15 due to the sexual and violent content). If you like diverse theatre and want to experience something new you must go and see this show. It will give you plenty to talk about on your journey home.

Reviewed by Jamie Chapman Dixon

Tavaziva Dance's Greed's continues to tour the UK until 28th March 2013.

Photo Credit: Sammi Fang

No comments:

Post a Comment