Thursday, 28 March 2013

Interview: Billy Elliot's Deka Walmsley and Redmand Rance

Now in its eighth year at the Victoria Palace Theatre, Billy Elliot the Musical continues to go from strength to strength. Not only has the show been seen by over 8 million people worldwide, and by almost 4 million in the West End, but this week it was announced that after months of voting, Billy Elliot has been shortlisted for the Radio 2 audience award at the Olivier Awards 2013.

To celebrate the news we caught up with two of the show's current cast members, Deka Walmsley, who is currently playing Billy's Dad and Redmand Rance, who is one of the boys dazzling audiences night after night as Billy Elliot.

Deka Walmsley
Currently playing Billy's Dad

How does it feel to be shortlisted for the Radio 2 audience award at this years Olivier's?
We are thrilled! I think the support of the audience is the biggest thrill for the cast because the fact that people have voted us all the way to the shortlist means we know we are doing our jobs, and doing justice to such a fantastic show.

Billy Elliot is now in its 8th year in the West End, why do you think the musical continues to be so popular?
I think quality lasts. Billy Elliot is beautifully crafted and was made by such visionary and talented people. As the casts have changed, I think we all respect the history of the show and strive to make sure the audiences today get as amazing an experience as they did 8 years ago! 

Is it a fun show to be part of?
To be perfectly honest nearly all shows are fun to be part of and Billy Elliot is no different. There is great banter, a good mix of actors, singers and dancers and all of us are humbled by how talented the kids in the show are.

What initially attracted you to the role of Billy's Dad?
I was offered it (laughs)! I have had many friends who have been part of Billy Elliot over the years so I knew how amazing it was. I also thought I could bring something new to the role and the thrill is to keep discovering. 

Finally... what would you like to say to everyone who voted for Billy Elliot? 
They are a virtual part of the live theatre experience, I am grateful that people felt moved enough to vote, their reaction during the show is electric and so I think everyone at Billy Elliot says thank you for letting everyone know how good the show is. Cheers! 

Redmand Rance
Currently playing Billy Elliot

Is it exciting to be nominated for the Radio 2 audience award at this years Olivier's?
I am really excited about Billy Elliot making the audience award shortlist! The entire cast and I are over the moon about it!

What is it like playing Billy Elliot?
It is just amazing! I have always dreamed of being in the West End and ever since I first saw the show in 2007 my dream role was to play Billy Elliot.

How did you feel when you found out you got the part?
I can’t explain the feeling. When I got the phone call saying that I had got the part, I nearly cried with happiness.

Describe Billy Elliot in 5 words... 
Inspirational, funny, brilliant, life-changing and sensational!

What would you like to say to everyone who voted for Billy Elliot? 
A massive thank you to everyone who voted for Billy Elliot, we couldn’t have done it without you! Thank you so much! 

Will Billy Elliot triumph at this year's Olivier Awards? The Olivier Awards ceremony will take place at the Royal Opera House on Sunday 28th April hosted by Hugh Bonneville and Sheridan Smith. The ceremony will be live on BBC Radio 2 from 6.30 pm with the award announcements as they happen and also exclusive red carpet interviews with the stars as they arrive before the big night. A full television highlights package will also be broadcast on ITV later in the evening.

Billy Elliot the Musical is currently booking at the Victoria Palace Theatre until 21st December 2013. For further information visit www.billyelliotthemusical.com

Andrew Tomlins (Editor)

Click here to book tickets to see Billy Elliot the Musical (save £23 when booking Monday - Friday performances until 28th June. Subject to availability).

No comments:

Post a Comment