Thursday, 10 January 2013

Interview: Nikki Davis-Jones, starring in Lift at the Soho Theatre

Nikki Davis-Jones will star as Secretary in Lift, the world premiere of a new musical by Craig Adams and Ian Watson about love, life and loss in a London lift. Later this year she will play Maureen in the 20th Anniversary Concert UK Tour of Rent. Nikki's many theatre credits include Standby Elphaba in Wicked (Apollo Victoria), Serena in Fame (UK Tour), Never Forget (Savoy Theatre), Lisa in Mamma Mia (West End) and Linda in Blood Brothers (West End).

Nikki chats to West End Frame about what it's like being part of a brand new musical, her time in Wicked and how she's excited about touring the UK with Rent!

Are you looking forward to starring in Lift?
I am so excited! The show is definitely going to be something special. As it’s a brand new show we are creating the roles which is so exciting, the buzz in the rehearsal studio has just been amazing! 

How are rehearsals going? 
Brilliant! We started on Monday and have been doing a lot of singing and the harmonies are just unbelievable – Craig Adams is a genius! The eight part harmonies sound incredible. It’s very hard, much harder than I was expecting it to be, but it’s brilliant and so much fun to be part of. 

What are the rest of the cast like to work with? 
Great, I knew Julie Atherton anyway but have never had the opportunity to work with her and I also knew a few of the other guys as well. They’re great, amazing people who are very talented. The ideas which are coming from everybody have been incredible. Everyone seems to be on the same page, we’re working together giving each other loads of ideas. It’s brilliant! 

What is the show about? 
Well... it’s very hard to explain! It’s about people and connections and how much can happen in such a short space of time. There are two meanings to everything and it is really cleverly written. It’s the kind of musical I would want to see loads of times because each time you would pick up on lots of little things. There’s not a stone unturned and the detail is unbelievable. It’s so satisfying when the story comes together and everything starts to link up. It’s brilliant! 

When did you first find out about the musical? 
I know the sound engineer and he told me he was going to be working on this new musical called Lift which I had heard about. Then I sent Craig, who was casting the show, a text and said I would love to audition. I had a couple of auditions, met everybody and got the job... I was well chuffed! It’s so nice to be working on something brand new as you can create the role. I worked on something else years ago where I created a role and that was one of my favourite jobs. 

You play ‘Secretary’ – how does the role compare to Elphaba? Is variety something you look for when choosing roles? 
Well I’m not green for a start! I’m pasty white! The roles don’t really compare at all but I’m still developing my character. She is very well educated but sort of undiscovered – like the girl in the office who nobody notices but there is something about her! She’s not very confident so I suppose maybe there are some elements of Elphaba which are the same but she doesn’t have Elphaba’s feistiness. I love doing different things. What drew me to this job is that it’s about finding your role, I know I keep going back to that but that was such a dangling carrot for me. I love taking on roles which have already been done and trying to change them, but with a lot of shows you’re not allowed to do that. It’s really nice for that reason. 

It’s just been announced that you will play Maureen in the upcoming concert tour of Rent – are you looking forward to it? 
I am! It is very exciting news! I’ve got some really cool songs to sing so I can’t wait! 

When did you first decide that you wanted to be an actress? 
From a really young age. I started dancing at the age of 3 and when I was 16 I went to Laine’s and that was it! I knew it was what I wanted to do. I don’t know what I would do it if I didn’t do this! 

What advice would you give to any aspiring actors? 
My best advice is to get an education first. I didn’t and I’ve been lucky enough to work but it could all end for me tomorrow... I’m 31 so what would I start doing now? It’s also really good to get life experience, it’s so important for acting. But if it’s your passion and you love it then go for it! 

You have played some of the most iconic West End roles! Are there any more that you have got your eye on? 
Ahh I don’t know! Elphaba was definitely up there. I’d love to play Fantine in Les Misérables – something completely different vocally, I would love the challenge. I would also like to do some telly! 

Finally, what would you like to say to all your fans who have supported you throughout your career? 
Thank you so much! Their support has just been unbelievable! I met most of them during my time in Wicked but some others have come from back in time from my previous jobs. They’re just amazing, especially on Twitter! Everybody has been so supportive and I’m very grateful. Thank you very much! 

Follow Nikki on Twitter: @NikkiDavisJones

Lift runs in the Main House at the Soho Theatre from Wednesday 30th January until Sunday 24th February 2013. Please visit www.liftmusical.com for more information and to book tickets.

Interviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)
andrew@westendframe.com

Photo Credit: Darren Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment