Monday, 14 January 2013

Interview: Matthew Wesley, currently playing Bobby in Cabaret at the Savoy Theatre

Matthew Wesley is currently playing Bobby in the West End production of Cabaret at the Savoy Theatre. His West End theatre credits include Chicago (Garrick and Cambridge Theatre), Priscilla Queen of the Desert The Musical (Palace Theatre) and She's The One (Savoy Theatre). Matthew chats to West End Frame about playing Bobby in Cabaret, what life is like backstage at the Savoy Theatre and what else he's up to at the moment.

Are you enjoying playing Bobby in Cabaret at the Savoy Theatre? 
I am really enjoying playing Bobby in Cabaret! It is nice to play a part where you get to interact with the principle parts and have a real purpose in the story!

What do you think makes Cabaret such a popular show? 
I think Cabaret has been a popular show because of the nature of the piece and it being a true story which has been changed into a musical! It has everything from humour to a hard hitting end scene which enables the audience go through all types of emotions whilst watching it.

What are the cast like to work with? 
The cast have been great to work with! For many of the other dancers it is their first West End job which has been exciting for them! It has also been great to work with established theatre performers such as Sian Phillips and Harriet Thorpe as you learn a lot from watching them on stage! Will Young and Michelle Ryan have also settled into theatre life really well.

What is life like backstage at the Savoy Theatre? 
Backstage at the Savoy is very small! During the show we have beds in the wings as well as props and set put into tight holes until they are needed! Our backstage team work extremely hard to make the show run as smoothly as it does each night.

Besides Cabaret, what else are you up to at the moment? 
I teach a lot at some well known drama schools in and around London which I really enjoy as you get a real sense of achievement from it! I enjoy going to the gym and keeping fit so I see my personal trainer three times a week. I also do a bit of modelling and backing dance for a Drag Queen called Miss Danni Dee. We perform regularly at Freedom and other cabaret venues around the UK. More information can be found at www.dannideequeen.com

Are there any roles you would like to play or shows you would like to be part of in the future? 
When I was younger my dream show was always Chicago and I have been lucky enough to do the show twice! I would love to create a show as part of an original cast.

What is your favourite show in the West End right now? 
Right now I think my favourite show has to be Top Hat! It is such an old classic and Bill Deamer has done wonders with the choreography.

What do you think you would be doing now if you hadn't become an actor? 
I think I probably would have become a personal trainer or a fitness adviser as I have a keen interest in that. 

What advice would you give to any aspiring performers? 
I would say make sure you are not in this job to make money! Ensure you can handle rejection and always believe in yourself. Take all advice given from teachers and performers.

Finally, what would you like to say to everyone who has supported you throughout your career? 
I would like to thank my family and friends who have always supported me. I wouldn't be where I am now if it wasn't for them.

Follow Matthew on Twitter: @wezer03 

Cabaret runs at the Savoy Theatre until Saturday 19th January 2013. Please visit www.atgtickets.com/shows/cabaret for more information and to book tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment