Friday, 28 December 2012

Interview: Helena Blackman

Helena Blackman chats to West End Frame about her upcoming roles in Impotent at the Lion and Unicorn Theatre and Ivor Novello’s final musical Gay’s The Word at the Jermyn Street Theatre. 

Since coming second on Andrew Lloyd Webber's first casting TV show How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria, Helena has had an exciting career, performing in productions all over the world. She also released her debut album, The Sound of Rodgers & Hammerstein.

Are you looking forward to starring in Impotent at the Lion and Unicorn Theatre? 
Very much so, it’s a new venue for me and I hear very good things about the kind of work that takes place there. I’m really supportive of these intimate and unique spaces and feel the show will be well received there. 

What is the show all about? 
It focuses on the intricacies of romantic relationships of the staff who work and the patients who visit a Genitourinary Clinic in Leicestershire. The majority of the relationships described are dysfunctional but truthful to the extent that we have probably all experienced at some point in our lives. 

Why should people come and see Impotent – what makes it stand out? 
It’s also a fascinating insight, particularly into male relationships, and pays attention to the disappointment, frustration and sensitivity that comes from the breakdown of them which is seldom spoken about via this genre. It’s comically dark, stupidly funny and very moving. It also features a very fine group of actors who I feel privileged to play alongside. 

Impotent sounds different to anything you have ever done before – do you enjoy playing completely different roles? 
When you train as an actress you are always tested and asked to play varied roles but once out in the profession we seldom get a chance to move outside of our casting brackets. This is the first present day modern production I have done in 8 years of my professional career and it’s a real breath of fresh air. I adore costume dramas and vocally as a singer these are what I’m particularly suited to, but as an actress I appreciate the simplicity and naturalism of modern theatre and I feel very at peace as a performer working within it. 

Straight after Impotent you will be returning to the Jermyn Street Theatre to star in Ivor Novello’s final musical Gay’s The Word – are you excited about the show? 
It could not get more extreme - I’m moving on to Operetta complete with dramatically sweeping melodies and heightened text... I love it though. It’s really good for me to keep these avenues of work open and we’re honoured to be opening the refurbished theatre. 

What is it like performing in intimate theatres such as the Lion and Unicorn Theatre and the Jermyn Street Theatre? 
It feels quite special, almost like you’re sharing a secret, and I always think the audience feel the same way…they get to be up close and personal and you can practically touch the atmosphere… they nearly break that fourth wall just by being there. 

It’s hard to believe 6 years have passed since you came second on How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria! Do you have fond memories of the programme? 
People are always shocked by the length of time since the TV show, particularly when it is getting replayed all over the world. I have very fond memories and am thrilled I got to experience such a unique journey. 

What’s your favourite West End show at the moment? 
I couldn't possibly say… there are too many people I know in shows at the moment… it wouldn't be fair!

What advice would you give to any aspiring performers? 
I think that performing is something your mind and body HAS to do. I don’t always love it, sometimes I can’t bear to discuss it and I certainly have moments when the idea of making another sound irritates me. However, I HAVE to do it, it brings such peace and contentment in a completely unique and inspiring way… when you get on that stage and that bubble envelopes you… it’s cathartic. I think that if you can experience this, that inspiration makes the commitment so second nature, rehearsal more obtainable and it becomes much more realistic to move forward towards a long time performance goal. 

Finally, what would you like to say to everyone who has supported you throughout your career? 
I don’t think I could say enough. Throughout my career I have looked around me at friends who do not share the same industry as myself and often thought “what am I giving back to the universe” but then I remember how performers are aid workers in a way. We provide a little space in time, where times stops and we can all celebrate life and creativity and that escapism seems to be so valuable for so many. I'm just thrilled people still want us to do it. My personal support has been so overwhelming and while I don't really know much about religion, I feel blessed. Thank you.

Visit Helena's website: www.helenablackman.com
Follow her on Twitter: @helenablackman

Impotent
8th - 26th January 2013
Lion and Unicorn Theatre (Kentish Town)

Gay’s The Word 
7th February - 2nd March 2013
Jermyn Street Theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment