Thursday 17 October 2013

Review: The Bakewell Bake Off at the Landor Theatre



The Bakewell Bake Off
Landor Theatre
Reviewed on Thursday 10th October 2013


The reason I love theatre is because of the power it has to completely change the way somebody feels. Theatre is the most powerful art form, whether it makes you laugh, cry or feel inspired and motivated; seeing a story unfold before your eyes can be the most incredible thing. I am a huge supporter of new writing, there is nothing more exciting than taking your seat at the theatre and not having a clue what to expect.

Inspired by The Great British Bake Off, The Bakewell Bake Off is a new musical created by a group of MA Musical Theatre performers at the Guildford School of Acting. I've never watched The Great British Bake Off and presumed that was the reason why I didn't get this show. However, I spoke to several people who are huge fans of the BBC programme yet didn't get it either. So if The Bakewell Bake Off doesn't appeal to new audiences or fans of the programme it is based on... then what is its point?

I arrived at the Landor Theatre feeling a bit cold and tired, and left feeling a bit cold and tired. The musical didn't change the way I felt in any way whatsoever. It's not an awful piece of theatre, it just seems pointless. The young cast play characters of all ages which gives the piece an amateurish feel. I felt as if I was watching a student performance and not a high quality piece of theatre, which was strange as I've become so used to seeing West End standards at the Landor Theatre which is one of my favourite fringe venues.

The characters felt strange and out of place. It was as if the students had gone around the circle and one by one chosen  a bizarre character. "I want to play a nerd", "I want to play a transvestite", "I want to play a nun."

The worst thing about The Bakewell Bake Off, and what makes it so boring and predictable, is that it has a clear formula. During the interval I could predict who was going to get through to the next round of the competition, or who was going to be disqualified, based on who hadn't yet had their solo number. The cast are fine, one or two give good performances but the standard wasn't consistently high. The harmonies were impressive during group numbers, but some of the cast demonstrated bad vocal technique and bad habits during solo numbers. Not all the cast projected either, which meant some lyrics were lost. 

The score isn't painful, but most the songs merge into one as it's all very 'samey'. The Bakewell Bake Off isn't the worst musical ever written, but seeing other shows has made me realise that if you want an entertaining evening at the theatre there are so many better options.

I wish the cast the best of luck for the future. Tucked away in Clapham North, the Landor Theatre is one of the friendliest and most welcoming theatres in London. As well as hosting UK premieres and staging revivals, the Landor is a hub for new writing. I look forward to seeing more high quality productions, such as [title of show], Sleeping Arrangements and A Class Act at the Landor Theatre over the coming months.

Reviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)
andrew@westendframe.com

Runs until Sunday 27th October 2013.
www.landortheatre.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment