Tuesday 15 October 2013

Review: Blood Brothers (UK Tour) at the New Wimbledon Theatre



Blood Brothers (UK Tour)
New Wimbledon Theatre
Reviewed on Monday 14th September 2013


Some say that Bill Kenwright's musical which ran in the West End for almost twenty-five years is dated, but I say that Blood Brothers is a vintage piece of theatre. It is certainly one of the best shows ever written and one that every single person should see in their lifetime.

'There's something for everyone' is a phrase which personally I feel can be a little over used, but Blood Brothers really does have something for everyone. Despite not being a big spectacle, the show features show stopping musical numbers, the most hilarious moments which leave the audience howling with laughter as well as a shattering, soul destroying finale which leaves many in a whimpering mess. The journey that Willy Russell's musical takes you on is like nothing else I have ever experienced, it really is quite extraordinary. You live every moment of Mickey and Eddie's lives from their first to their last breath, it is rather exhausting.

For those who don't know (if there is anybody?), Blood Brothers sees struggling single mother Mrs Johnstone give up one of her babies to a much wealthier, slightly deluded woman after giving birth to twins who she simply cannot afford to bring up. The twins grow up leading very different lives until a chance meeting reunites the pair... At the heart of Blood Brothers is a dark tale of superstition. The cast are beyond phenomenal; you soon forget that the lovable kids are actually being played by adults. 

The latest big name to take on Mrs Johnstone is Maureen Nolan (pictured right) and my oh my she does a sterling job. Usually I am very picky when it comes to vocals. However, although Maureen's vocals were not always completely consistent, she put her heart and soul into every scene and song, meaning every single word. She completely blew me away as I had no idea that she was going to be an astoundingly brilliant actress. Following the recent tragic events in Maureen's personal life I have the utmost respect for her for returning to play the iconic role. Performing such an emotional show eight times a week is no easy task but she came out fighting and brought the audience to their feet after one of the most painful, heartfelt renditions of ‘Tell Me It’s Not True’ I have ever heard. 

What I love about Blood Brothers is that producers do not look for carbon copies. I have now seen three actresses play Mrs Johnstone (Vivienne Carlyle and Lyn Paul as well as Maureen) and all three have interpreted the role very differently. While my personal favourite is Vivienne, I found it very refreshing to watch Maureen’s almighty portrayal. Her Mrs Johnstone has a certain stillness and composure about her which works a treat and really helps to build up to the huge finale.

It was great to once again see Sean Jones as Mickey, Mark Hutchinson as Eddie and Warwick Evans as the Narrator. All three have been playing their roles on and off for years, yet somehow manage to keep their performances so fresh. I have always found the Narrator one of the most fascinating characters in theatre. Special mentions must also go to Olivia Sloyan who makes the perfect Linda and Tracy Spencer who is the best Mrs Lyons I have seen to date. She found the perfect balance between portraying the character’s manipulative and psychopathic sides.


I saw Blood Brothers in the West End four times, including the very last (and very emotional) performance last year. I love that this touring production isn't just a scaled down, cheap copy of the West End show. The set has been slightly redesigned, some of the tweaks proving highly effective. I also noticed slight differences in the instrumentation. These changes make this touring version a strong production in its own right. I loved it just as much, if not more than in the West End. Blood Brothers feels as exciting as ever and is certainly showing no signs of slowing down.

In a strange way seeing Blood Bothers again took me by surprise, I'm not sure that until now I had realised just how incredible the piece is. I took a friend who had never seen the show before, and to watch her reactions (which included lots of loud laughs, gasps, aww's and tears) reminded me of how I found myself completely lost and swept up in the piece the first time I saw it. With school children invading the New Wimbledon Theatre last night (and probably all this week) it reminded me just how important the musical is, as I remember being taken to see the production for a GCSE drama trip and for many of my classmates it was the first time they had ever been to the theatre. Blood Brothers has played an important part in many people’s lives and needs to return to the West End as a matter of urgency. Last night was one of the best evenings I have ever spent at the theatre.

Reviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)
andrew@westendframe.com

The UK Tour of Blood Brothers runs at the New Wimbledon Theatre until Saturday 19th October 2013. Please visit www.kenwright.com for further information, tour dates and tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment