Monday 14 October 2013

Review: Bare at the Greenwich Theatre



Bare: The Rock Musical
Greenwich Theatre
Reviewed on Friday 11th October 2013


Following a successful run at the tiny Union Theatre, Bare: The Rock Musical has transferred to the considerably larger Greenwich Theatre. Apart from the two leads, the show features a new, bigger cast but is still very similar. Despite reviewing Bare on its opening night at the Union, I actually couldn't remember many details of the storyline so it was as if I was watching the show for the first time again.

Bare follows a group of teenagers who are seen wrestling with issues of identity, sexuality and religion while at a co-ed Catholic boarding school. The central storyline follows the rocky, secret relationship between Jason and Peter as both boys struggle to come to terms with their sexuality. 

I feel Bare has lost some of its original eeriness. The opening number at the Union was quite something, with haunting vocals coming from all around, but at Greenwich I was sat right at the back, very high up and the sound quality was so bad that I could barely make out a single word. It was very disappointing. I felt like I was watching an intimate show from very far away, the lighting design is so gloomy that I couldn't see any facial expressions, it was frustrating that I couldn't see any of the detail as I know the cast are strong.

Both Michael Vinsen (Peter) and Ross William Wild (Jason) have really grown into their roles. Michael's vocals were faultless and very touching, particularly during the phone call scene with his mother; he really does give a master class in how to act through song. After the first few numbers I felt Ross really got into the score and I enjoyed listening to his gentle, yet rocky vocal tones. He was the only cast member who performed with such depth and detail throughout; even from the back of the theatre I could see the twinkle in his incredibly expressive eyes. Jason is a very complex character; I still don't know whether I hate him, like him or feel sorry for him. Ross will play with your emotions and his clear understanding of the character enables him to give a high quality, thought-out performance.


The entire show is stolen by Claudia Kariuki as Sister Chantelle. In Act One she has a number during which she plays the Virgin Mary which is as outrageously funny as it sounds. Personally I wasn't convinced when she was joined by the cast in tight gold clothes and roller skates – it was slightly ridiculous – but the number proved a big hit with the audience who, up to that point, had been fairly quiet but went wild as the song drew to a close. From there on many of Claudia's one-liners were greeted by huge laughs and rounds of applause. She is quite a diva and gives an almighty performance.

I love that Bare is mostly sung through; the score has a very distinct sound and is mostly strong. Many of the melodies came flooding back to me and are still stuck in my head. The storyline is fine, personally I don't love it but I know the show is very important to some people. Bare is a very sad piece of theatre with some uplifting moments. I came away slightly disappointed as I thought the show would be better in a bigger venue, with its big rock score filling the theatre, but the show has lost a little of its original magical flare and meaning. Bare is a raw, mystifying and powerful piece of theatre and I still think this production is worth seeing.

Reviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)
andrew@westendframe.com

Bare runs at the Greenwich Theatre until Saturday 27th October 2013.
Please visit www.greenwichtheatre.org.uk for further information and tickets.

Photo Credit 2: Claire Bilyard

No comments:

Post a Comment