Thursday 31 October 2013

Interview: Dickie Wood, currently playing Pepper in Mamma Mia!

Dickie Wood recently graduated from the Arts Educational Schools London. He went straight from drama school to making his West End debut in the West End production of Mamma Mia at the Novello Theatre.

Whilst training Dickie’s theatre credits included: Gilbert Chilvers in Betty Blue Eyes, Che in Kiss of the Spider Woman, George in Sunday in the Park with George and Marco in The Gondoliers. He appeared in the ensemble at the Olivier Awards in 2011 at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane and in 2012 at the Royal Opera House. Dickie has also appeared in The Not Forgotten Society's 90th Anniversary (Buckingham Palace) and Friday Night Is Music Night hosted by Michael Ball (BBC Radio 2). He can be heard on The Confession Room concept album.

Recently I spoke to Dickie about making his West End debut and life in Mamma Mia, as well as his all-time favourite shows and dream roles...

You left drama school and went straight into Mamma Mia, how has the experience been so far?
It’s been amazing and I feel very fortunate to be in this position! But it was also a little strange going from the drama school bubble straight into a job full of professionals who have been doing it for years. The expectations are so much higher; you can’t get away with anything! So the transition has been interesting and I’ve learned a lot already.

What was the audition process like?
The casting director and creative team came into Arts Ed for preliminary auditions. Initially I was cut but then four weeks later I was asked back to audition for Pepper and I was like “yes!” because that’s the role I wanted to go for anyway! And then after two rounds of auditions I was cast! It was a crazy week. On the Monday I had my final audition, on the Tuesday we did our showcase at Arts Ed and then on the Wednesday I got an agent and got a job offer on the Thursday! It was so surreal!

How are you enjoying your run so far!
It’s great! Mamma Mia is such a feel good show and Pepper is a really fun part to play. Because Pepper, Eddie and Sky are all mates we’re able to relax and enjoy it and I think that vibe rubs off on the audience too.

Dickie and the 2013-14 cast of Mamma Mia

What’s the atmosphere like backstage?
The cast are amazing. All the boys share a dressing room; we all get on very well and have a lot of banter which is great – it’s the same on and off stage. 

Why do you think Mamma Mia has been such a popular show for so many years?
If I’m honest I think it has a lot to do with the feel-good factor throughout and especially at the end of the show – you can’t see Mamma Mia without feeling good. I think a lot of people underestimate Mamma Mia, every single person in the audience can relate to at least one of the characters. It’s very real and relatable.

Dickie with Dan Krikler (Eddie)
and Oliver Tilney (Sky)
What is your favourite Abba song?! 
Um… Dancing Queen! I’ll tell you a secret, every night I’m in the wings during Dancing Queen and I always peek through the side to watch it, I think it’s the best scene in the show! It’s just hilarious and the way Dianne (Pilkington, Donna), Jane (Milligan, Rosie) and Kim (Ismay, Tanya) bounce off each other is just hysterical! We get incredible audiences too and Dancing Queen always gets one of the biggest rounds of applause.

How do you find doing eight shows a week?
Eight shows a week is tough. They say you’re at your fittest when you’re at drama school, but when you’re performing to 1,200 people every night you always have to go full-out... if you have a bad night you don’t know who’s watching. You always have to be on the ball and energised and ticket prices are high so you want people to get their money’s worth. 

Image you have to move to a desert island... which three musical theatre songs would you take with you?
The opening of Wicked, it is one of my all time favourites! There are a few We Will Rock You songs I would love to take... but I’ll go for ‘Who Wants To Live Forever’. My final one... oh my god – what would it be? Something from the Lion King? Oh I know – ‘Revolting Children’ from Matilda! I did a Matilda workshop for a few students of mine the other week and it’s just so rebellious and I love it!

What are you favourite shows?
One of them has to be We Will Rock You, the music and atmosphere is out of this world. The first time I went I was just in awe of the voices and that’s one show I would love to be in. I would just love to sing Galileo’s songs every night. Wicked is my other favourite show, the first time I saw it I was just like “wow.” I also loved Singin’ in the Rain, Andrew Wright’s choreography blew me away. Matilda is also one of the best shows I’ve ever seen! Everyone needs to see it.

The 2013-14 cast of Mamma Mia

Any other dream roles?
I want to be a flying monkey in Wicked! I would also love to have a chance to play Boq. To play Galileo would just be incredible and I would love to be in Matilda! Then when I’m older I would love to have a shot at playing Frankie Valli in Jersey Boys.

What are Mamma Mia fans like?
Mamma Mia has lots of fans! There’s one lady who has been twenty-four times and sits in the box every time so we always know when she’s in. I’m still getting used to meeting people at the stage door and signing programmes and so on. People ask “doesn’t it get on your nerves?” but we’re actors and it’s always nice because the audience are showing their appreciation. It’s our job and we do it for the audience! 

Interviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)

Mamma Mia is currently booking at the Novello Theatre until 5th April 2014.
Click here to book tickets.

Visit Dickie's website: www.dickiewoodofficial.co.uk
Follow Dickie on Twitter: @dickiewooduk 

Photo Credit 1: Nick James
Photo Credit 2, 3 & 4: Brinkhoff/Mögenburg

No comments:

Post a Comment