Friday 11 October 2013

Review: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (UK Tour) at the New Wimbledon Theatre



Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (UK Tour)
New Wimbledon Theatre
Reviewed on Wednesday 9th October 2013


Ladies, imagine you're out and about one afternoon. You meet a man, marry him a couple of hours later and then arrive at his house to discover he has six brothers and really only married you so you could look after them. I presume you wouldn't be too pleased? Well that is the situation Milly (played by Helena Blackman) finds herself in, in Patti Colombo's new production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Needless to say Milly takes it all on the chin and ends up introducing the six brothers to six of the girls from her village (and I'm sure you can imagine what happens next).

Despite featuring some cringey moments, questionable acting and a cramped set, I absolutely loved this bizarre, now politically incorrect musical. I must admit, after a long day I arrived at the New Wimbledon Theatre feeling slightly tired and grumpy, but as I left the theatre I had to resist the temptation to burst into song and dance on my way to Wimbledon station. 

The best thing about this production is Helena Blackman who manages to find sincerity in the slightly weak text. This was the third production I have reviewed Helena in this year, every role I have seen her play has been completely different, yet I can never fault her performance. Not only does she play Milly with the perfect mix of fight and vulnerability, but she sings the score exquisitely. Her higher register is crystal clear while her belt is just as strong, I couldn't help but think that Helena would make the perfect Fantine in Les Miserables - I hope you're listening Cameron?!

It was interesting to see Sam Attwater play Adam as the role is quite a leap from other parts he has played recently. He brings maturity to the role and has good chemistry opposite Helena, as well as with his brothers. A slightly weaker performance comes from Jack Greaves as Gideon. Despite being a terrific dancer and good vocalist, I struggled to believe his portrayal, particularly when he discussed his love for Alice.



Patti Colombo's choreography is big and bold and I loved it! The dance sequences provide the best moments of the piece. The cast are all incredible dancers and certainly dazzle and wow the audience on many occasions. The score is very nice but slightly unadventurous. I did find myself tapping my foot a few times, but few numbers are memorable.

I don't usually find myself writing this, but there was too much set! Backstage must be a nightmare! Things were constantly flying on and off and in and out, but it all looked a little bit cheap, cluttered and dated. A more simplistic design is needed.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is not musical perfection - but it is fantastic fun (if you like that sort of thing, which clearly I do)! If you want to have a laugh, witness some great choreography, and see some slightly unnecessary nudity (the moment when six of the brothers ripped their shirts off mid-song was very strange) then, like me, you will love this production! If not, I advise you avoid it at all costs.

Reviewed by Andrew Tomlins (Editor)
andrew@westendframe.com 

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers runs at the New Wimbledon Theatre until Saturday 12th October before touring the UK until November 2013.

Click here to read West End Frame's interview with Helena Blackman (December 2012).

No comments:

Post a Comment