Tuesday 1 May 2012

Review: South Downs & The Browning Version at The Harold Pinter Theatre




South Downs & The Browning Version
The Harold Pinter Theatre
Performance: Wednesday 25th May 2012




I really did not have a clue what to expect as I walked into the Harold Pinter theater, only 2 weeks after seeing the final performance of Absent Friends at the same theater, to see two, one act plays. The first is a new play called South Downs which was written David Hare, especially to go with Sir Terence Rattigan's play The Browning Version. Both focus on boys boarding houses set in the 1960s. My favourite play by far was South Downs. If the Browning Version been on first I think I would have enjoyed it more. Watch this video to find out more about the shows





Anna Chancellor was the best actor in the shows. Her experience shows as she delivered two faultless performances. Her scenes as Belinda Duffield were incredibly touching in South Downs. Then in the Browning version she really made me believe she was this horrible, wicked wife. Nicholas Farrell was also outstanding and again faultless, I completely understood every single emotion he went through despite not being a similar age or similar profession as his character. She had a fantastic entrance in South Downs, as she was the first woman in the play it felt strange to see her, I had kind of forgotten that females existed. 


Mark Umbers gave an interesting performance as Frank in The Browning Version. At first I liked him, then I loved him, then I didn't like him, them I liked him, then I hated him and then I ended up respecting him for doing the right thing. I like it when actors play their characters as human beings, who aren't stereotyped as one personality who always behaves the save way. We got to see how he behaves around students, colleges and lovers making him a much more relatable character. He also had great chemistry with all his fellow actors and I really do not know how... but he managed to pull off that outrageous white suit! I could not believe how experienced Jonothan Bailey is, still at such a young age. He was a very likable character and I would be interested to see his other work.  


And that brings me on to the actor everyone has been talking about... Alex Lawther. Firstly I do not know how he manages to balance A Levels with the West End. I had heard a lot about this actor. It did take me a while to warm to him, at first he was annoying but by the end of the show I was completely intrigued. You go on such a journey with him, slowly learning more about his character and why he is the way he is.


I would recommend this show to any actor, espiaclly training/aspiring actors. The acting is fascinating to study. I would suggest people of the older generation, especially those who went to boarding school should buy their tickets now. It has great characters and gives you the occasional chuckle. It's nice to see something different. To find out more and to book tickets http://www.browningversion.com/. TKTS also regulars has discounted tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment