Saturday 7 April 2012

Goodbye Legally Blonde! 'Going Out On A Legal High'


So I've been planning to write this blog post for a while, celebrating Legally Blonde's time in the West End... however I've been in denial and haven't written it, until today.

The original cast performing
 'Gay Or European'
Legally Blonde really taught me not to judge a book by it's cover. It's amazing to watch the character of Elle grow and becoming successful. However that is not the only way the show has taught me this message. The first time I saw the show I thought I was going to hate it and it would just be girly and stupid. However the show is amazing, while being modern it also brings back flashes of good old British theatre with the comedy of 'Gay Or European' and the songs that take you through massive journey's such as 'What You Want' and 'Chip On My Shoulder'. 

This show also brought Sheridan Smith to my attention, who I think now is my favourite West End actress. Her casting seemed random but is what made the show appeal to British audiences. I have to say that when she and the original cast left the show that magical spark did go however the show did continue to stay fresh and funny.

I loved Richard Fleeshman as Warner and I think the show was a great West End debut for him before going onto ghost. Alex Gaumond to me really will always be Emmett. He just is him! However I did love his understudy Matthew McKenna, who I saw twice and made an excellent Emmet as well. I was never a massive fan of Aoife Mulholland as Brooke, she's talented but i much preferred how Tamara changed the role and brought a new, more feisty character to the show. And of course Chris Ellis-Stanton  was the perfect Kyle and I think it is a shame he never got to play Warner, who he understudied for a while.

Susan McFadden, Amy Lennox &
Ibinabo Jack
 with Sheridan smith
& Richard Fleeshman
The original 3 girls, Susan McFadden, Amy Lennox & Ibinabo Jack were the best by far. They where three massive, very different characters all competing for my attention. However I did love Ibinabo Jack, Lucy Miller & Emma Bateman together as they had great chemistry and there friendship shone through. My favourite Callahan has to be Lincoln Stone who just makes the best entrance and really sings those songs.

I think it has to be said Legally Blonde has the most amazing understudies and swings. There is never a dull show at Legally Blonde with ex cast members regularly returning and people going on for people they don't even cover! Like Jane (aka the superwoman) going on for Margot as Emma made her debut as Elle and Tamara going on as Pilar when she no longer covered the role and the Resident Director Dominic Shaw having to make an appearance in the show as Kyle!

Then finally there are the three Elle's. I love how all three showed me a different side of Elle and used there different talents to make me love the character. Sheridan had a strong voice, great comic timing and had a special relationship with the audience without making it corny. Susan has the most beautiful voice that I could listen to all day and really sung every song faultlessly. She also had this great sarcasm which I loved and worked so well. Carley started more timid but now she is just as good as the other two, she acts the part so beautifully and really takes you on Elle's journey. Carley also sings her heart out of So Much Better which I think is such an amazing song.

Legally Blonde has such an amazing score which touches on all different genres and areas of music. I love the comedy of Omigod You Guys, Serious, Positive, Ireland & There! Right! There!. And the energy in What You Want & Legally Blonde Remix is just insane.

I have seen the show 6 times however one performance particularly stands out for me... Sheridan's last. When she came up the lift and got the standing ovation it was just amazing. There was so much love in that room it was just incredible. The round of applause after Legally Blonde Remix never ended, I for one clapped as long as possible just to make the show last longer. However something Sheridan said in her speech really stood out

"Don't be sad it's over, be happy that it happened"

3 comments:

  1. To be honest, I even could not imagine how hard it is to find decent piece of info on the above topic. It took me a couple of hours before I came across your site. <a href=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted that your found our site in the end then,
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. such a wonderful blog honey
    Legal Highs

    ReplyDelete